1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modeling survival with a differential equation

1. Jul 19, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A health club is opened, the fraction of members still enrolled t months from their initial visit is given by the function f(t)= e-t/20. the club initially accepts 300 members and will accept new members at a rate of 10 per month. How many people will be enrolled 15 months from now.

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    I remember my professor referencing this problem could be done as a differential equation problem instead of a survival/renewal problem (which I can do).

Following the idea of inflow-outflow, I came up with

dP/dt= 10 (inflow) - ?

with P being members

I'm not sure how to take the fraction of people and make that into a rate.
    Once I figure that out I could likely solve the differential normally for P.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2016 #2
    Okay, here's a hint. If f(t) represents the fraction of people still enrolled after their initial visit, what does 1 - f(t) represent?

4. Jul 20, 2016 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you saying you do not know what 50% of 300 works out to? That is what you would have if ##f(t) = 0.5## applied to the initial 300.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted