Another polar / rectangular simplification

In summary, the problem involves converting polar coordinates with the given equation r = 1/(1-cos(theta)) into rectangular coordinates. The attempt at a solution involves using the equations r = sqrt(x^2 + y^2) and cos = x/r, which leads to the equation sqrt(x^2 + y^2) - x = 1. However, the correct solution involves moving x over and squaring both sides, resulting in the equation y^2 = 1 + 2x.
Sparky_

Homework Statement

Convert into rectangular coordinates:

[tex]
r = \frac {1}{1-cos(theta)}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]
r = \frac {1}{1-cos(theta)}
[/tex]

[tex]
r –r(cos) = 1
[/tex]
(why can't I get a minus sign to display correctly? - I'm trying to show r - r*cos = 1)

I used
[tex]
r = \sqrt {x^2+y^2}
[/tex]
and

[tex]
cos = \frac {x}{r}

x = (r)(cos)
[/tex]

resulting combinations gives:
[tex]
\sqrt {x^2+y^2} – x = 1
[/tex]
(I think) - and again - I'm having a problem (maybe just on my end) displaying a minus sign. I'm seeing "8211" on the screen for the minus sign.

I'm trying to display sqrt(x^2+y^2) - x = 1.

The book gets

[tex]
y^2} = 1 + 2x
[/tex]

I‘ve tried some various algebra stuff but am not getting close to the book’s answer.

Thanks
-Sparky

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I got it - I don't know how to delete the post (if I'm allowed)

I moved x over and squared both sides.

[tex]
\sqrt {x^2+y^2} = 1 + x
[/tex]

[tex]
{\sqrt {x^2+y^2}}^2 = (1 + x)^2
[/tex]

[tex]
{x^2+y^2} = 1 + 2x + x^2
[/tex]

[tex]
y^2} = 1 + 2x
[/tex]

1. What is "Another polar / rectangular simplification"?

"Another polar / rectangular simplification" is a technique used in mathematics and physics to simplify complex equations or graphs involving polar and rectangular coordinates. It involves converting between the two coordinate systems to make calculations easier.

2. How does "Another polar / rectangular simplification" work?

This technique works by converting polar coordinates to rectangular coordinates or vice versa using trigonometric functions. By doing so, equations or graphs that are difficult to work with in one coordinate system can be simplified and solved more easily in the other coordinate system.

3. When is "Another polar / rectangular simplification" used?

This technique is commonly used in scientific fields such as physics and engineering to simplify calculations involving circular or rotational motion. It can also be used in graphing to transform polar graphs into rectangular graphs for easier analysis.

4. What are the advantages of using "Another polar / rectangular simplification"?

The main advantage of using this technique is that it simplifies complex equations and graphs, making them easier to understand and work with. It can also help to identify patterns and relationships between variables that may not be apparent in the original polar or rectangular form.

5. Are there any limitations to "Another polar / rectangular simplification"?

While this technique can be very useful, it does have its limitations. It may not always be possible to convert between polar and rectangular coordinates, especially when dealing with more complex equations. Additionally, the conversion process may introduce errors or approximations, which could affect the accuracy of the results.