Another repeated roots problem

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Roots
In summary: But since the initial condition is at t0=0, the constant that goes with the t term will disappear, and there won't be a way to solve...
Jamin2112

Homework Statement

Find the solution of the initial value problem.

x'=[3 9; -1 -3]x, x(0)=(2 4)T

Homework Equations

A good guess should be x=tert$ + ert#

The Attempt at a Solution

But ...

the only root is r=0, which gives me a solution x(1)(t)= C1(-3 1)T. Using the guess above, stuff goes wrong because I end up with tA$ + A# -$ = 0, which just gives me #=(-3 1)T as well.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jamin2112 said:
A good guess should be x=tert$ + ert#

Good..

the only root is r=0, which gives me a solution x(1)(t)= C1(-3 1)T. Using the guess above, stuff goes wrong because I end up with tA$ + A# -$ = 0, which just gives me #=(-3 1)T as well.

I don't see how you are getting this. If your repeated root is r=0, then your solution is x=te0t$ + e0t#=t$+#...substituting your initial condition gives you (2,4)T=0$+#=#

gabbagabbahey said:
Good..

I don't see how you are getting this. If your repeated root is r=0, then your solution is x=te0t$ + e0t#=t$+#...substituting your initial condition gives you (2,4)T=0$+#=#

Then I'd have a solution of the form x=C1(-3 1)T + C2(2 4)T, which is different from the solution in the back of the book.

You need to give us a bit more detail. What you've written doesn't really make sense, and it's hard to figure out what you're doing since you've omitted all the steps.
Jamin2112 said:
What do A, $, and # stand for? Is A a matrix? Similarly, what exactly are C1 and C2?
Jamin2112 said:
Then I'd have a solution of the form x=C1(-3 1)T + C2(2 4)T, which is different from the solution in the back of the book.
I'm still not sure how you came up with the vector (-3 1)T, why the constant vectors are multiplied by C1 and C2, and where the t and the exponential went.

vela said:
You need to give us a bit more detail. What you've written doesn't really make sense, and it's hard to figure out what you're doing since you've omitted all the steps.

What do A, $, and # stand for? Is A a matrix? Similarly, what exactly are C1 and C2?

I'm still not sure how you came up with the vector (-3 1)T, why the constant vectors are multiplied by C1 and C2, and where the t and the exponential went.

$,# are vectors with constant entries
A is a matrix.
Boldness means a non-scalar, in my personal math language.

The problem I'm having comes from the fact that 0 is an eigenvalue.

Say there was one eigenvalue a≠0. One solution would be eat$, where $ is the eigenvector associated with a. The I'd guess a second solution x(2)(t)=teat$ + eat#.

-----> x'= (ateat+eat)$ + aeat#.

And plugging this back into x'=Ax,

(ateat+eat)$ + aeat# = teatA$ + eatA#,

which is true if

teat(A-aI)$=0
and
eat(A-aI)#=eat$.

eat is never equal to zero, so to simplify,

t(A-aI)$=0
and
(A-aI)#=$.

Notice that I can solve for $, since there's the first equation is an eigenvalue problem. In the particular problem this thread is about, a=0 and $=(-3 1)T. Plug that into the second equation and you can solve for #. But since a=0, we just get A#=$ ------> #1 = -3#2 - 1; #2=#2 ------> # = (-3 1)T + k(-1 0)T------> x= C1teat(-3 1)T + C2eat [ (-3 1)T + k(-1 0)T ]

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation. Sorry, my brain is a bit slow this morning/afternoon. I think you're just getting the constants messed up a bit. First, the k is in the wrong place. You should have #=k(-3 1)T+(-1 0)T, so your solution should be

x = C1[(-3 1)Tteat+[k(-3 1)T+(-1 0)T]eat] + C2(-3 1)Teat

so when you rearrange everything, you get

x = C1[(-3 1)Tteat+(-1 0)Teat] + (kC1+C2)(-3 1)Teat

Because the C's are arbitrary, you can just set k=0, which you could have done right from the start to simplify the subsequent algebra. So finally, you get

x = C1[(-3 1)Tteat+(-1 0)Teat] + C2(-3 1)Teat

to which you now apply the initial conditions.

vela said:
Thanks for the explanation. Sorry, my brain is a bit slow this morning/afternoon. I think you're just getting the constants messed up a bit. First, the k is in the wrong place. You should have #=k(-3 1)T+(-1 0)T, so your solution should be

x = C1[(-3 1)Tteat+[k(-3 1)T+(-1 0)T]eat] + C2(-3 1)Teat

so when you rearrange everything, you get

x = C1[(-3 1)Tteat+(-1 0)Teat] + (kC1+C2)(-3 1)Teat

Because the C's are arbitrary, you can just set k=0, which you could have done right from the start to simplify the subsequent algebra. So finally, you get

x = C1[(-3 1)Tteat+(-1 0)Teat] + C2(-3 1)Teat

to which you now apply the initial conditions.

But since the initial condition is at t0=0, the constant that goes with the t term will disappear, and there won't be a way to solve for it.

The answer in the back of the book is x=2(1 2)T + 14(-3 1)Tt, so there is a t term---somehow.

By the way, thank you for your cooperation. I have a midterm Wednesday, so I'm just making sure I do the homework questions correctly.

The other term multiplying C1 won't disappear, though, so you'll still have two equations and two unknowns.

1. What is a "repeated roots problem" in mathematics?

A "repeated roots problem" refers to a situation in which a polynomial equation has one or more solutions that are repeated. In other words, there are multiple solutions that have the same value.

2. How do you solve a repeated roots problem?

To solve a repeated roots problem, you can use the quadratic formula or factoring method to find the solutions of the equation. You can also use the graphing method to visually see where the repeated roots occur.

3. Why do repeated roots occur in polynomial equations?

Repeated roots occur in polynomial equations because of the fundamental theorem of algebra, which states that a polynomial equation of degree n has exactly n complex roots. If one or more of these roots are repeated, it means that the polynomial has fewer distinct roots than its degree.

4. Can a polynomial equation have more than two repeated roots?

Yes, a polynomial equation can have more than two repeated roots. This occurs when the polynomial has a degree greater than 2 and has multiple factors that result in the same root.

5. How do repeated roots affect the graph of a polynomial function?

If a polynomial equation has repeated roots, it means that the graph of the function will touch or cross the x-axis at the same point multiple times. This results in a "bouncing" effect on the graph, rather than a smooth curve.