Another series solution ODE problem

In summary, the problem involves finding a basis of solutions for the given differential equation using the series approach. The resulting recursive relation has three coefficients for the same power of x, which is common for second order differential equations. The final solution can be expressed in terms of two solutions that depend on the arbitrary constants, a_0 and a_1. A solution was successfully found, though there may be a simplification for some of the series.
TheFerruccio

Homework Statement

Find a basis of solutions.

Homework Equations

[tex](1-x^2)y''+(1-x)y'-3y = 0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the series approach, having:

[tex]y=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_nx^n[/tex]

I ended up with an equation representing the coefficients for [tex]x^0[/tex]

[tex]2a_2+a_1-3a_0 = 0[/tex]

I'm confused because this is the first time I have encountered three coefficients for the same power of x. I just want to verify that I didn't make an algebra mistake, because I am used to finding that certain coefficients are linked to even powers, while others are linked to odd powers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi TheFerruccio,

Your work looks fine, I just went through the problem and obtain the same result you got. I have seen a lot of power series solutions that end up with three coefficients in their recursive relations, so it is no problem. This happens when you have second order differential equations. Given that a second order differential equation will admit two arbitrary constants for the general solution, your single equations in three unknowns is a way of saying there are two 'free parameters' (if I may borrow the term from linear algebra). Your final solution will be able to be expressed in terms of two solutions that depend each on one of the arbitrary constants: [tex]a_0[/tex] and [tex]a_1[/tex]. If you had initial/boundary conditions, you would be able to find these constants.

For instance, the differential equation:

[tex]y'' + \omega^2y = 0[/tex]

If you used a power series solution to find the result, you would get a recursive relation in three coefficients, and you could compute several terms. In the end you would be able to reduce all the coefficients to be put in terms the first two coefficients: [tex]a_0[/tex] and [tex]a_1[/tex], such that your final solution would look like:

[tex]y(t) = a_0\left(1 - \frac{(\omega t)^2}{2!} + \frac{(\omega t)^4}{4!} - \ldots\right) + a_1\left(\omega t - \frac{(\omega t)^3}{3!} + \frac{(\omega t)^5}{5!} - \ldots \right)[/tex]

Which you would recognize as:

[tex]y(t) = a_0\cos\omega t + a_1\sin\omega t[/tex]

That only happens though if your recursive relation would have three parameters in it to start with. It is a common situation though, so no worries.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help! I managed to put together some kind of solution, though it does not really match what was found using mathematica. I'm probably missing something with the algebra or the simplification. Here is the solution I have:

[tex]y = a_0(1 + \frac{3}{2}x^2 + \frac{1}{2}x^3 + \frac{3}{4}x^4 + \frac{3}{4}x^5 + \ldots) + a_1(x - \frac{1}{2}x^2 + \frac{1}{2}x^3 + \frac{1}{4}x^4 + \frac{1}{4}x^5 + \ldots)[/tex]

EDIT: It looks like this works just fine. There is likely a simplification for some of the series, but I don't know it.

Last edited:

1. What is a series solution for an ODE problem?

A series solution for an ODE (ordinary differential equation) problem is a method of solving the equation by expressing the solution as an infinite series of terms. This allows for finding an approximate solution to the problem and can be useful when an exact solution cannot be found.

2. How is a series solution obtained?

A series solution is obtained by substituting the assumed infinite series into the original ODE problem and solving for the coefficients of each term in the series. This results in a recurrence relation that can be used to find the values of the coefficients.

3. What are the benefits of using a series solution for an ODE problem?

Series solutions can be useful when an exact solution cannot be found or is too difficult to obtain. They also allow for finding an approximate solution that can be made more accurate by adding more terms to the series.

4. What are the limitations of using a series solution for an ODE problem?

A series solution can only be used for certain types of ODE problems, such as linear equations with constant coefficients. It also requires a lot of computation and can become increasingly complex as more terms are added to the series.

5. How can I determine the accuracy of a series solution?

The accuracy of a series solution can be determined by comparing it to the exact solution, if known, or by using convergence tests to check the convergence of the series. Adding more terms to the series can also increase the accuracy of the solution.