1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Creating series solutions for a non-constant coefficient ODE

1. May 23, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is for differential equations with nonconstant coefficients and I wasn't so great at series and sequences in calculus so when I came across this example problem I wasn't sure how they got to their final form. If someone could explain it to me that would be really helpful.

2. Relevant equations
    The ODE is:
    [tex] y"-2xy+2y=0[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    We assume there is some solution of the form:
    [tex]y(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_nx^n [/tex]
    The derivatives are:
    [tex]y'(x)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}na_{n}x^{n-1}\:\: \text{and}\:\: y''(x)=\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}n(n-1)a_nx^{n-2}[/tex]
    A change of index gives
    [tex]y'(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}na_nx^{n-1}\:\:\text{and}\:\:y''(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+2)(n+1)a_{n+2}x^n[/tex]
    Putting these into the ODE gives:
    [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(n+2)(n+1)a_{n+2}x^n-2x\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}na_nx^{n-1}+2\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_nx^n=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\Big((n+2)(n+1)a_{n+2}-2na_n+2a_n\Big)x^n=0[/tex]
    The Identity Theorem gives:
    [tex](n+2)(n+1)a_{n+2}-2na_n+2a_n=0[/tex]
    Solving this for ##a_{n+2}## gives:
    [tex]a_{n+2}=\frac{2(n-1)a_n}{(n+2)(n+1)}[/tex]
    Odd coefficients are zeros except for ##a_1## because:
    [tex]a_3=\frac{2(1-1)a_1}{(n+2)(n+1)}=0\:\: \text{and all other coefficients will depend on a multiple of}\:a_3[/tex]
    The even coefficients are given by:
    [tex]a_{2k+2}=\frac{2(2k-1)a_{2k}}{(2k+2)(2k+1)}[/tex]
    This is a worked example from the book and the answer is:
    [tex]\frac{2(2k!)}{k!}[/tex]

I'm not sure how they got this final form, but I think it has something to do with the even number recursion formula, which can be written as:
    [tex]a_{2k+2}=\frac{2(2k-1)a_{2k}}{(2k+2)(2k+1)}=\frac{2(2k-1)}{(2k+2)(2k+1)}\frac{2(2k-3)a_{2k-2}}{2k(2k-1)}[/tex]
    This is where I am having the problem. The book says the ##a_{2k+2}## can be written as:
    [tex]\frac{2^{k+1}(2k-1)(2k-3)...3\cdot2\cdot1}{(2k+2)!}a_0[/tex]
    I understand where the ##2^{k+1}## and ##a_0## are coming from, but the other terms I am unsure of.

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2016 #2
    Hi rmiller:

I have not yet digested all of your calculations, but I noticed a typo in your ODE. You are missing an apostrophe. The second term should be
    -2xy' .​

Since the equation is linear, any constant multiple of a solution is also a solution. This means that a0 is an arbitrary constant.
    Since this is a second order equation, there should be two independent solutions.

It has been decades since I worked with ODEs so I may be mis-remembering the following.

I think you can also choose a1 to be another arbitrary constant. Then find how a2 relates to a1 and a0. You then need a recursion relationship between
    a2k+2 and a2k.​

The solution given
    a2k = 2(2k!)/k!​
    seems to be based on assuming that a0 = 4 and ignoring a1.

You should be able to find the second solution by assuming a0 = 0 and a1 = 1.

ADDED
    I notice that the solution given above is inconsistent with the previous even coefficients expression for a2k+2.
    Assuming a0 = 1, the expression for a2k+2 calculates
    a2 = -a0.​
    However, the book answer 2(2k!)/k! is always positive.

Hope that this helps.

Regards,
    Buzz

Last edited: May 24, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted