Another transistor amplifier problem

In summary, on page 13 of the physics exam, there is a question about an AC signal on a CRO and the answer is B. The relevant information is on the page before and the explanation should be kept simple. The question asks about the 12V center and cut off points and there is a sub-question about the appearance with a capacitor on Vout. The student also provides their contact information for further discussion.
poala999
http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/vce/studies/physics/pastexams/physicspilot12004.pdf

Page 13. AC signal on CRO. Answer is B. How the heck do they do that?

Relevant information is on page before.

Love peoples explanations but please try to keep it simple.

Sorry if i seem direct.

I don't understand why it is centred around 12V, and the cut off points.

Sub-question...? what would this look lke if there was a capictor on the Vout.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
not sure if I'm allowed to post my msn address but here it is k.c@internode.on.net, add me for a chat if need be. Thanks a million!

It is not uncommon for students to struggle with transistor amplifier problems, especially when dealing with AC signals and CRO measurements. It is important to understand the basics of transistor amplifiers before attempting to solve problems like this.

The first step is to understand the circuit diagram given on page 13. The circuit consists of a transistor, a resistor, a capacitor, and a source voltage of 12V. The AC signal is applied to the base of the transistor, and the output voltage is measured across the resistor.

To answer the question, we need to understand how the transistor amplifies the AC signal. This can be done by analyzing the circuit using Kirchhoff's laws. The transistor acts as a current amplifier, allowing a larger output current to flow through the resistor than the input current at the base. This is due to the transistor's ability to control the flow of current through its collector-emitter path.

In this specific problem, the DC voltage of 12V is used to bias the transistor in the active region, meaning it is not fully saturated or cut off. This allows for the transistor to amplify the AC signal without distortion.

The cut off points refer to the maximum and minimum voltage values that the transistor can handle before it enters the saturation or cut off regions. These points are important to consider when designing a transistor amplifier circuit to ensure it operates within safe and desired levels.

As for the sub-question, if a capacitor was added on the output voltage (Vout), it would act as a high-pass filter, allowing only high-frequency signals to pass through. This would result in a smoothed out output signal, reducing any noise or fluctuations in the signal.

In summary, understanding the basics of transistor amplifiers and analyzing the circuit using Kirchhoff's laws can help solve problems like this. It is also important to consider the biasing of the transistor and its cut off points to ensure proper operation.

1. What is a transistor amplifier?

A transistor amplifier is an electronic device that uses transistors to amplify a signal. It is commonly used in electronic circuits to increase the strength of a weak signal.

2. How does a transistor amplifier work?

A transistor amplifier works by using the properties of transistors to control the flow of current. It takes a small input signal and uses the transistor to amplify it, producing a larger output signal.

3. What are the common problems with transistor amplifiers?

Common problems with transistor amplifiers include distortion of the output signal, noise interference, and thermal instability. These issues can be caused by incorrect component placement, insufficient power supply, or faulty transistors.

4. How can I troubleshoot a transistor amplifier problem?

To troubleshoot a transistor amplifier problem, you can start by checking the connections and components for any loose or damaged parts. You can also use a multimeter to measure the voltage and current at different points in the circuit to identify any abnormalities.

5. Can I fix a transistor amplifier problem on my own?

If you have some knowledge and experience in electronics, you may be able to fix a transistor amplifier problem on your own. However, it is always recommended to consult a professional if you are unsure or if the problem is beyond your expertise to avoid causing further damage to the amplifier.