Answer didnt check with back of book

• Thread starter betyoudidntthink
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the person is seeking help with finding the correct answer for a question involving a long wire and a magnetic field. They also mention another question involving a long solenoid and a parallel wire. The expert is asking for clarification on the method used to calculate the magnetic field and reminds the person to consider the enclosed current.
betyoudidntthink
hey,

I'm not getting the answer matching the back of the book for these questions, can you show me how to do it with your work?

A long wire is known to have a radius greater than 4.0 mm and to carry a current uniformly distributed over its cross section. If the magnitude of the magnetic field is 0.285 mT at a point 4.0 mm from the axis of the wire and 0.200 mT at a point 10 mm from the axis, what is the radius of the wire?

and

A long solenoid (n = 1200 turns/m, radius = 2.0 cm) has a current of a 0.30 A in its winding. A long wire carrying a current of 20 A is parallel to and 1.0 cm from the axis of the solenoid. What is the magnitude of the resulting magnetic field at a point on the axis of the solenoid?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show us what you tried and what answers you got (and how) ?

For the first question, I am assuming you calculated the magnetic field using
[tex] \int \vec{B} \vec{dl} = \mu_0 I_{\text{enclosed}}[/tex]

Did you keep in mind that, at least for the 4mm radius, the enclosed current is NOT the total current?

Finally find the right latex code, sorry :p
[tex]\oint \vec{B} \cdot \vec{dl} = \mu_0 I_{\text{enclosed}}[/tex]

(Why can't I edit my post??)

1. Why is it important to check my answer with the back of the book?

Checking your answer with the back of the book is important to ensure that you have solved the problem correctly. It serves as a way to double check your work and catch any mistakes you may have made.

2. Is it cheating to use the back of the book for the answer?

No, it is not considered cheating to use the back of the book for the answer. However, it is important to make sure that you understand the steps and concepts used to solve the problem rather than just copying the answer.

3. What should I do if my answer doesn't match the one in the back of the book?

If your answer doesn't match the one in the back of the book, it could be due to a simple mistake or a different approach to solving the problem. Try to review your work and see where the discrepancy may have occurred. You can also ask a classmate or teacher for help.

4. Can I use the back of the book to study for a test?

Using the back of the book to study for a test is not recommended. It is important to understand the concepts and be able to solve problems on your own rather than relying on the answers in the back of the book. Practice problems and seeking help from a teacher or tutor are better study methods.

5. Should I always check my answer with the back of the book?

It is a good practice to check your answer with the back of the book, but it is not always necessary. If you are confident in your solution and have checked your work multiple times, you may not need to use the back of the book. However, if you are unsure or want to double check your work, it is always a good idea to use the back of the book as a resource.