Answer Mech Energy of 32kg Cannon Ball at Max Height

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 11K views
therest
Messages
25
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 32 kg cannon ball is fired from a cannon with muzzle speed of 1360 m/s at an angle of 44◦ with the horizontal. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 . What is the total mechanical energy at the maximum height of the ball? Answer in units of J.

Homework Equations


Mechanical energy = KE + UG + US (ignore spring potential energy)
UG = mgh
KE = (1/2)mv2

The Attempt at a Solution


I actually thought I understood the concepts behind this one fine, but I keep getting the wrong answer.

First I found the height:
Theoretically, mechanical energy is conserved, so E at launch = E at top of flight (w/ max height)
KE + UG = KE + UG
no UG at launch, and no KE at top of flight in the y-direction -- motion is changing direction -- so
KE in the vertical direction = UG
(1/2)(32 kg)(1360sin44 m/s) = (32 kg)(9.8 m/s2)h
h = 45536.98701 m

Then, I attempted to find the mechanical energy at the top of the flight.
Known facts:
* the mass has a vertical acceleration and a horizontal velocity of 1360cos44 m/s
* the mass has both kinetic energy (it is moving) and potential gravitational energy.
* I guessed that the total mechanical energy would be the resultant of these two using the Pythagorean theorem since the two energies are perpendicular to each other.

E at top = KE in the x-direction + UG in the y-direction
KE = (1/2)(32)(1360cos44)2 = 15313200.87 J
UG = (32)(9.8)(45536.98701) = 14280399.13 J

KE2 + UG2 = resultant2
resultant = 20938574.93 J

But... that's the wrong answer.
Do the directions of the vectors not matter? Can someone provide an explanation for this?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Energy is scalar, has no direction, you simply have to add the different kinds of energy.

"KE2 + UG2 = resultant2" this is wrong.

As for your method, you overcomplicate the calculations. Conservation of the mechanical energy means that the total energy E= KE + PE at the muzzle is the same as at the maximum height.

ehild