Confused...calculating energy in a spring before launch of a ball

In summary, the problem discussed involves finding the maximum height of a ball launched upwards by compressing a spring. The instructor showed that the energies at three different states (before launch, at equilibrium, and at max height) are all equal to each other. In a later lab, the students had to show that the mechanical energy of a ball shot straight up is conserved. The student initially had trouble understanding why the energy in the spring before launch should equal the total mechanical energy. However, after clarifying with the instructor, they realized that the energy at equilibrium is a combination of both kinetic and gravitational potential energy, and at max height, all the energy is in gravitational potential energy.
Fatima Iqbal

Homework Statement

So a little background before stating the problem:

During a lecture a couple weeks prior to lab, the instructor did an example where we were told to find the max height of a ball launched upwards by compressing a spring. In order to calculate that, he showed that E1 is the position of ball before the launch off a spring, E2 is at Xo or at equilibrium and E3 is at max height. Then he stated that all these energies are equal to one another--so E1=E2, E2=E3, thus E1=E3.

A couple weeks later for a lab, we had to show that the mechanical energy of a ball (.0096kg) shot straight up is conserved.

From relative graphs and for trial 1, I found the height of the ball and the velocity at the same time--.978m and -1.169m/s respectively--and I calculated the total mechanical energy to be 9.86 x 10^-2 J (KE=6.56 x 10^-3 J and Ugrav=9.20 x 10^-2 J).

Based on my notes just before this lab, our instructor told us that the total mechanical energy (KE + Ugrav) should be equal to the energy in the spring before the ball was launched.

But I'm confused, why shouldn't the Uspring just equal the potential energy or just the kinetic energy as he showed in lecture?

Homework Equations

KE=1/2mv^2
Ugrav=mgh
Uspring=1/2kx^2
Total Energy=KE + Ugrav
&
Uspring = Total energy = KE + Ugrav

The Attempt at a Solution

I think while typing out the problem I may have come to an answer and just need confirmation.

The reason why Upsring = KE + Ugrav from the lab versus the lecture is because in the lab we did not use the KE at equilibrium (Ugrav = 0) and the Ugrav at the max. height (KE = 0). If that was the case then the scenario from the lecture would apply for the lab. Is this correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you are saying in that last paragraph. In the three states discussed in the lecture:
Before release of the spring, all the energy was as PE of the spring. (This assumes we are taking the altitude of the ball at this point as our zero height reference.)
At equilibrium, the spring has no PE left, but the ball has gained both GPE and KE. Ignoring losses, the sum of these would equal the original energy.
At max height, all the energy is in GPE of the ball.

Ohhhh ok. I think I was combining two examples from my notes so I got confused at what types of energy would be at equilibrium. This whole time I have been incorrectly thinking that at equilibrium, when the obj is moving at max speed (regardless if it is launched horizontally or vertically), there's only kinetic energy and that was probably due to me misinterpreting what my instructor said in class. I see what you mean when you say that the total energy of the spring before the launch should equal to the GPE and KE. Thanks!

1. How do you calculate the energy in a spring before launching a ball?

The energy in a spring before launching a ball can be calculated using the formula: E = 1/2kx^2, where E is the energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring from its resting position.

2. What is the spring constant and how do you find it?

The spring constant is a measure of how stiff a spring is. It is represented by the letter k and is measured in units of force per unit length (N/m). To find the spring constant, you can use the formula k = F/x, where F is the force applied to the spring and x is the resulting displacement.

3. Can the energy in a spring change?

Yes, the energy in a spring can change. It is directly proportional to the square of the displacement, so as the spring is compressed or stretched, the energy in the spring will increase or decrease accordingly.

4. How does the mass of the ball affect the energy in the spring?

The mass of the ball has no effect on the energy in the spring. The energy in the spring is solely dependent on the spring constant and the displacement of the spring.

5. What is the relationship between the energy in the spring and the launch velocity of the ball?

The energy in the spring is directly proportional to the square of the launch velocity of the ball. This means that as the energy in the spring increases, the launch velocity of the ball will also increase. However, other factors such as friction and air resistance can also affect the launch velocity of the ball.