Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AnswersInGenesis Got Sokal'ed

1. Feb 29, 2008 #1
    An Apology and Unification Theory for the Reconciliation of Physical Matter and Metaphysical Cognizance

For people not familiar with Alan Sokal, being Sokal'ed is when a journal publishes a paper that has been sent in to try and trick the editors to publish it if it sounds professional and appeals to the ego of the editors even though it has absolutely no actual content.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokal_Affair

This is especially clear when you mix quantum mechanics with holography and young-earth creationism. This part is the very hallmark of a Sokal-style hoax:

The position described above as ridiculous is actually ID creationism, not evolution.

PZ Myers weighs in on the issue.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2008 #2

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, I'd agree they got Sokaled.

Interesting list of hoaxes. I liked the Rosenhan experiment and especially the Spectra book.

Have you seen the Kia commercials with Millard Fillmore soap on a rope? That's an H.L. Mencken hoax from 1917 and you still have some surprisingly respected people citing it as fact that Millard Fillmore popularized the invention of the bathtub by having one installed in the White House in 1850. I'm pretty sure most of the founders of our country took baths, so maybe Benjamin Franklin invented taking a bath.

Or maybe not. Anybody can get Sokaled. Alan Abel and Buck Henry did a parody routine on the "Society for Indecency to Naked Animals" and even Walter Cronkite and CBS News got taken in.

4. Feb 29, 2008 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, when you're a crackpot, I guess having other crackpots review and publish it, that would be "peer" review, huh? :rofl: It's really a tragedy that such a farce of a journal exists at all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?