Anti-particle is particle that moves back in time ?

In summary: I heard that.There are some similarities in some models, but that is all. In summary, this is not true.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
Anti-particle is particle that moves back in time ? Jonh Wheeler has an argument about it ?
Is this really true ?
How this works ?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Arman777 said:
No it is not. Mathematically there are some similarities in some models, but that is all.

mfb said:
No it is not. Mathematically there are some similarities in some models, but that is all.
I am sad :( I didnt expect this answer...

Arman777 said:
I am sad :( I didnt expect this answer...

There are a great many "hypothetical ideas" that get lobbed around in science. Almost none of them get beyond the hypothetical stage, but they often attract the attention of amateurs and crackpots and, because many of these ideas sound really cool, they tend to get shared more than the mainstream models and ideas.

We can make or collect some kinds of antiparticles such as positrons which now have routine applications such as PET scans in hospitals.
This is obviously not possible if the positrons used have to come from the future, after then scan has been done.

Likes vanhees71
I see...well thanks :)

Arman777 said:
An anti-particle always move forward in anti-time...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR]:ok:

:oldwink:[COLOR=#black] .[/COLOR]...nhoJ seod os ,tcaf sa siht wonk I

OCR said:
An anti-particle always move forward in anti-time...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR]:ok:

:oldwink:[COLOR=#black] .[/COLOR]...nhoJ seod os ,tcaf sa siht wonk I
Anti-time ?

Likes OCR
Arman777 said:
Anti-time ?

I expect that was a joke on OCR's part.

Likes OCR
Arman777 said:
Anti-time ?
Yes, however, the explanation only exist in the future, but I can give you a preview...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :oldsmile:

Drakkith said:
I expect that was a joke on OCR's part.
Yes, it was a joke on me... lol

Arman777 said:
Is this really true ?
This part is really true, Arman777... it was a postulate, proposed by John Wheeler to Richard Feynman, alluding to the one-electron universe...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :oldcool:

So... no need to be sad...[COLOR=#black] [/COLOR]:ok:

OCR said:
This part is really true, Arman777... it was a postulate, proposed by John Wheeler to Richard Feynman, alluding to the one-electron universe...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :oldcool:

So... no need to be sad...[COLOR=#black] [/COLOR]:ok:
I heard that.But ita not a correct idea..

1. What is an anti-particle?

An anti-particle is a type of particle that has the same mass and spin as a regular particle, but with opposite charge. For example, the anti-particle of an electron is a positron, which has the same mass as an electron but with a positive charge instead of a negative charge.

2. How does an anti-particle move back in time?

The concept of an anti-particle moving back in time is based on the theory of antiparticles being the mirror image of regular particles in time. This is known as time reversal symmetry. However, in reality, anti-particles move forward in time just like regular particles. The idea of them moving back in time is just a mathematical representation.

3. Can anti-particles time travel?

No, anti-particles cannot time travel. The concept of an anti-particle moving back in time is only a mathematical representation and does not reflect any physical reality. Time travel is currently not possible according to our current understanding of physics.

4. How are anti-particles created?

Anti-particles can be created in high-energy collisions, such as those that occur in particle accelerators. When a particle and its corresponding anti-particle collide, they annihilate each other, producing energy in the form of photons. This is how scientists can detect the presence of anti-particles.

5. What is the significance of anti-particles in physics?

Anti-particles play a crucial role in our understanding of fundamental particles and their interactions. They can help explain phenomena such as symmetries in the laws of physics and the balance of matter and anti-matter in the universe. Additionally, the production and study of anti-particles have led to advances in technology, such as medical imaging techniques like PET scans.