Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Antiproton flux and cross-sections in antideuterium production

1. Dec 30, 2017 #1
    Hello!

I`m currently reading an article about antideuterium production and dark matter detection. The article often uses the term cross-section, like for example: “Assuming an annihilation cross section into a particular Standard Model Channel” and “Probe scattering cross sections through the recoil of dark matter off of target nuclei”. I would be very grateful if someone could clarify this term to me in this context. Also, is it correct that we can expect an high signal-to-background ratio in the antiproton flux alongside the expected antideuterium flux and do we use this actively when probing for dark matter candidates?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2017 #2

mfb

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

I wrote an article about cross sections. They are connected to the probability that a process happens.

Your second question is missing too much context. Which dark matter model are you looking at, what would be the detection method, and so on?

4. Jan 3, 2018 #3
    Thank you, I will definitely take a look at the article.

I suppose the latter sort of answers my question as well. I take the request for more context that the increased antiproton flux is nothing we generally search for across a wide range of models. Since I don’t know enough to elaborate on it, I will leave it for now until I am able to ask about something that makes sense.
    Thank you so much for your reply.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted