Antiproton flux and cross-sections in antideuterium production

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter LeInvertedPenguine
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cross-section Flux
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
LeInvertedPenguine
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hello!

I`m currently reading an article about antideuterium production and dark matter detection. The article often uses the term cross-section, like for example: “Assuming an annihilation cross section into a particular Standard Model Channel” and “Probe scattering cross sections through the recoil of dark matter off of target nuclei”. I would be very grateful if someone could clarify this term to me in this context. Also, is it correct that we can expect an high signal-to-background ratio in the antiproton flux alongside the expected antideuterium flux and do we use this actively when probing for dark matter candidates?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you, I will definitely take a look at the article.

I suppose the latter sort of answers my question as well. I take the request for more context that the increased antiproton flux is nothing we generally search for across a wide range of models. Since I don’t know enough to elaborate on it, I will leave it for now until I am able to ask about something that makes sense.
Thank you so much for your reply.