Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any 3D graph plotting tools for Mac?

1. May 14, 2007 #1
    Anything free that is?

BTW, I have a biological aversion to Gnuplot.

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2007 #2
  4. May 14, 2007 #3
    Hmmm, I don't really want to spend half a day messing around with Wine. I'd prefer a native OS X app.

5. May 14, 2007 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Gnuplot's wonderful. In fact, it's one of the best graphing utilities on the planet, mainly because you can script it and embed it within a flow involving other programs.

- Warren

6. May 14, 2007 #5
    /Applications/Utitilities/Grapher.app

Not sure if that's exactly what you're looking for. But it allows you enter equations and nice way. For example, if you type (5x^2)/2 it will format it for you.

7. May 15, 2007 #6
    Thanks. I love grapher, but I want to import my own data and grapher won't let me do this.

8. May 15, 2007 #7
    Thanks. I'm not sure I really want to battle with gnuplot one more time. It nerds me out. Plus, it doesn't allow you to rotate surfaces in real time.

I'm amazed there isn't a simple free 3d scientific visualization code for the mac.

Paraview looked simple, but it requires writing data in vtk format which seems quite complicated. I haven't been able to find a good vtk tutorial on the web.

9. May 28, 2007 #8
    Whatever happened to that graphing software that came with the MacOS? I think it was a basic version and you paid if you wanted a premium version that allowed implicit functions. It was very pretty.

10. May 28, 2007 #9
    Thanks. It's called Grapher. See my answer above.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?