Any advice for visiting CERN? What's it like?

• Thread starter devildog2067
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cern
In summary, CERN is the world's largest particle physics laboratory and is home to the Large Hadron Collider. Visiting CERN allows you to witness cutting-edge science and learn about the mysteries of the universe. To book a visit, you can do so online through their website, but it is recommended to book in advance due to high demand. There is no specific dress code, but comfortable, closed-toe shoes are recommended and certain areas have restrictions on footwear. Photography is allowed in most areas, except for sensitive areas and flash photography is not allowed in exhibitions. There are no age restrictions for visiting, but children under 12 are not allowed on guided tours of the underground facilities for safety reasons. Additionally, there are special activities and workshops
devildog2067
I'm starting a fellowship at Northwestern this year, and they've offered to take me to Switzerland to work at CERN for the summer.

Anyone here been there? What's it like? Anything I should know about the food/accomodations/people/whatever?

Physics news on Phys.org
Switzerland's a lovely place to be any time of the year :smile:

You'd be a fool not to snap up this opportunity!

As a scientist who has had the opportunity to visit CERN, I would highly recommend taking advantage of this opportunity. CERN is a world-renowned research facility where groundbreaking discoveries in particle physics have been made. It is truly a one-of-a-kind experience that I believe every scientist should have.

In terms of advice for visiting CERN, I would suggest doing some research beforehand on the specific areas of research that interest you. This will help you make the most of your time there and potentially even collaborate with other scientists working in similar fields.

As for the overall experience, CERN is a bustling and dynamic environment filled with some of the brightest minds in the world. You will have the opportunity to attend seminars, workshops, and interact with scientists from all over the globe. The facilities are top-notch and the staff are incredibly knowledgeable and helpful.

In terms of food and accommodations, Switzerland is known for its high standard of living and CERN is no exception. The food options are diverse and cater to a variety of dietary needs, and the accommodations are comfortable and well-maintained.

One thing to keep in mind is that CERN is a highly collaborative and international environment, so be prepared to work with people from different backgrounds and cultures. This can be a great learning experience, but it's important to be open-minded and respectful of others.

Overall, I am confident that your fellowship at CERN will be an enriching and unforgettable experience. I wish you the best of luck and hope you make the most of your time there.

1. What is CERN and why should I visit?

CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, is the world's largest particle physics laboratory. It is home to the famous Large Hadron Collider, the world's largest and most powerful particle accelerator. Visiting CERN is a unique opportunity to see cutting-edge science in action and learn about the mysteries of our universe.

2. How do I book a visit to CERN?

Visits to CERN can be booked online through their website. However, due to high demand, it is recommended to book well in advance. It is also possible to attend public events and exhibitions at CERN without a booking.

3. Is there a dress code for visiting CERN?

There is no specific dress code for visiting CERN, but it is recommended to wear comfortable, closed-toe shoes as the tour involves a lot of walking. Additionally, visitors are not allowed to wear high heels or sandals in certain areas for safety reasons.

4. Can I take photos during my visit to CERN?

Yes, photography is allowed in most areas of CERN, except for certain sensitive areas such as the control rooms. However, flash photography is not allowed in the exhibitions as it can damage the equipment.

5. Are there any age restrictions for visiting CERN?

There are no age restrictions for visiting CERN, however, due to safety reasons, children under the age of 12 are not allowed to participate in guided tours of the underground facilities. There are also special activities and workshops designed for younger visitors to engage with the science at CERN.