1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any body is a theoritical biophysicist ?

1. Jun 15, 2012 #1
    I'm still a student who is studying physics and I want to become a theoritical biophysicist, but I don't know what I need for this department.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2012 #2
    A physics degree would be the mainstream route, possibly backed up with some biology courses (although a good understanding of classical and statistical physics is probably much more important than biology). Our computational biophysics groups also employs a handful of non-physicist (a biologist, a chemist, and an engineer). But that is mostly because a lack of suitable physicists on the market, not because of an intended interdisciplinarity. Some universities formally offer specialized biophysics courses, but if your university of choice doesn't, then a "normal" physics degree is probably just as fine, too.

4. Jun 15, 2012 #3
    I've been told by a biophysics professor at my university not to take any biology classes. - instead take chem and biochem. She says that she never even took any as a grad student because if you want to know how a protein is made, for example, you can just look it up in a book in 30 minutes instead of taking an entire class on it... Idk if I agree with this outlook. But basically what I'm trying to say is that you should be fine with physics

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook