Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any body is a theoritical biophysicist ?

1. Jun 15, 2012 #1
    I'm still a student who is studying physics and I want to become a theoritical biophysicist, but I don't know what I need for this department.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2012 #2
    A physics degree would be the mainstream route, possibly backed up with some biology courses (although a good understanding of classical and statistical physics is probably much more important than biology). Our computational biophysics groups also employs a handful of non-physicist (a biologist, a chemist, and an engineer). But that is mostly because a lack of suitable physicists on the market, not because of an intended interdisciplinarity. Some universities formally offer specialized biophysics courses, but if your university of choice doesn't, then a "normal" physics degree is probably just as fine, too.

4. Jun 15, 2012 #3
    I've been told by a biophysics professor at my university not to take any biology classes. - instead take chem and biochem. She says that she never even took any as a grad student because if you want to know how a protein is made, for example, you can just look it up in a book in 30 minutes instead of taking an entire class on it... Idk if I agree with this outlook. But basically what I'm trying to say is that you should be fine with physics

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook