Any book or website recommendations for learning physics?

In summary, if you are interested in learning physics, you should definitely check out the forum links and try to find some resources that are tailored specifically to high school students.
SeaweedBrain
Hi! I'm in high school and I'm really interested by physics and I want to learn about it myself over the summer. I really want to enter competitions as well if I am able to understand the material well. If you have any recommendations, I would love to hear about them as well as your experiences with physics competitions!
Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Check out our STEM Learning Materials forum:

https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/stem-learning-materials.160/

Lots of links and discussion there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes SeaweedBrain and Greg Bernhardt
SeaweedBrain said:
Hi! I'm in high school and I'm really interested by physics and I want to learn about it myself over the summer. I really want to enter competitions as well if I am able to understand the material well. If you have any recommendations, I would love to hear about them as well as your experiences with physics competitions!

From PF's main page, look at the two forums that have been highlighted here:

1u6Rll.jpg

Zz.

Likes Greg Bernhardt and SeaweedBrain
SeaweedBrain said:

Tell us in detail what math you know and what physics you know.

Likes SeaweedBrain
youtube channels tackle the basics really hard and are a greater teaching tool. Princeton Review's AP Physics B Review Book was my best friend in learning physics in my early years. Learning physics is far from an overnight task. If you want to be a competitive at the high school level, you MUST learn calculus. I'll never understand some kids learn calculus at such an early age, but they are always the most successful competitors. Seems like a very ambitious goal, but go for it!

Likes SeaweedBrain
micromass said:
Tell us in detail what math you know and what physics you know.

I'm currently taking Pre-calculus in high school but I learned Calculus in 7th grade and I don't know any physics but I am taking AP Physics next year.

JohnPrior3 said:
youtube channels tackle the basics really hard and are a greater teaching tool. Princeton Review's AP Physics B Review Book was my best friend in learning physics in my early years. Learning physics is far from an overnight task. If you want to be a competitive at the high school level, you MUST learn calculus. I'll never understand some kids learn calculus at such an early age, but they are always the most successful competitors. Seems like a very ambitious goal, but go for it!

Thank you so much :) I'm definitely going for it!

1. What are some good books for learning physics?

Some popular books for learning physics include "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker, "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, and "Conceptual Physics" by Paul G. Hewitt.

2. Are there any websites that can help with learning physics?

Yes, there are many websites that offer resources for learning physics, such as Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and HyperPhysics. These websites offer videos, practice problems, and interactive simulations to help with understanding physics concepts.

3. Are there any beginner-friendly books or websites for learning physics?

Yes, some beginner-friendly books for learning physics include "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett and "The Cartoon Guide to Physics" by Larry Gonick. For websites, Khan Academy and Physics Classroom are both great options for beginners.

4. Is it better to learn physics from a book or a website?

It ultimately depends on personal preference and learning style. Some people may find it easier to learn from a book where they can take notes and go at their own pace, while others may prefer the interactive and visual elements of learning from a website.

5. Are there any free resources for learning physics?

Yes, there are many free resources for learning physics, including open courseware from universities such as MIT and Stanford, as well as free online textbooks and resources from websites like Physics Classroom and Khan Academy. There are also many physics-related YouTube channels that offer free educational content.