Is My Homemade Encryption Method Secure Enough for Real-World Use?

• Thread starter LizardKing23
  • Start date
In summary, the author made up an encryption method on an airplane and so far no one in their dorm has been able to decode it. However, they think that it might be able to be broken with a little bit of effort. They also suggest that if you want to be secure, you should make your code public and make sure to test it to make sure it's secure.
LizardKing23
I made up this encryption method on an airplane, and so far no one in my dorm has gotten it. Since I live in a college dorm, it may or may not be a good testing area, so I figured I'd try it out here.

PRMDC JKIHF
LQHEH UHMRZ
JKIQG WIYHA

Physics news on Phys.org
Having no idea what kind of method you used to encrypt that, it's impossible to crack. We could make a guess at the method, like a substitution cipher, and possibly decode it to be something meaningful but we'd have no way of knowing if you didn't just use a one-time pad and our "meaningful" message wasn't just a random chance.

thats true, i know i didnt supply nearly enough information
i just wanted to see if anyone here is hardcore into cryptography and would try to crack it
would it help if i said that it's a plato quote?

Anyone into cryptography should know it was futile and wouldn't bother.

Even knowing it's a plato quote, we still don't have enough. As it is, I could come up with an encryption method that would decode what you've got into any plato quote you like. eg. Here's two encoded messages using a scheme I've just come up with that are both plato quotes:

ASED

and

GHUT

I'll even tell you one means "Courage is a kind of salvation" and the other "Courage is knowing what not to fear" but you have absolutely no way of knowing which is which.

When does a code become decipherable?

Surely, given a finate number of data points (i.e. cipertext) there is an infinite number of solutions to it? What information needs to be known for it to be breakable?

Last edited:
Knowing what was used to encode it can go a long way, and having some idea of what it says won't hurt. Newspapers often have "Cryptograms" that are made from a simple substitution cipher. It will have many characters so it's unlikely that the wrong substitutions will make a coherent message and they'll sometimes make the encoded message the answer to a riddle so the message is meaningful. These are meant to be broken of course, but are examples of how not to use a substitution cipher if you want security.

Just knowing the method can do the trick as well. Any RSA encryption can be broken given enough time, though done properly it's an extremely long time (ideally long after the data is no longer sensitive).

Using the same code over and over can do you in. Say a baseball coach has 5 different signals to mean "steal second". Over the course of one game, he can use these without trouble. If he used the same set of signals to mean "steal second" for an entire season, people will catch on (if they're paying attention).

It really depends on the method used, and also how it's used as to just how secure your encryption is, as well as the resources and ability of your attackers.

Normally, good 2-way crypto algorithms are given lots of public exposure, testing, verification. What you did depends on method only, very likely.

Have a quick read about why crypto is harder than it seems -
http://www.schneier.com/essay-037.html

1. What is cryptography?

Cryptography is the practice and study of techniques for secure communication in the presence of third parties. It involves creating and analyzing protocols that prevent third parties or the public from reading private messages. Cryptography is used in many applications, such as computer security, electronic commerce, and secure communication.

2. What are the different types of cryptography?

There are three main types of cryptography: symmetric cryptography, asymmetric cryptography, and hashing. Symmetric cryptography uses a single key to both encrypt and decrypt data. Asymmetric cryptography uses a public key and private key pair to encrypt and decrypt data. Hashing uses a mathematical algorithm to create a unique fixed-length output from a given input, making it impossible to reverse the process and obtain the original input.

3. How is cryptography used in modern technology?

Cryptography is used in many modern technologies to ensure secure communication and protect sensitive information. It is used in online banking, e-commerce, mobile devices, and messaging applications. Cryptography is also used in the storage and transmission of sensitive data, such as personal information and government documents.

4. What are the potential risks of using cryptography?

While cryptography is an important tool for secure communication, it is not foolproof. There are potential risks associated with using cryptography, such as the loss or theft of encryption keys, vulnerabilities in encryption algorithms, and human error. Additionally, cryptography is only effective if implemented correctly and used properly.

5. How can I learn more about cryptography?

There are many resources available to learn more about cryptography, including books, online courses, and academic programs. It is also helpful to have a strong background in mathematics and computer science. Additionally, staying up-to-date on developments and advancements in the field through conferences, workshops, and online communities can also be beneficial.