Any experience in the field of geophysics?

In summary: The environmental science undergraduate program at my school is all fluff and no substance so I ruled that out immediately. Geophysics looks interesting but I'll have to take a class in it to learn more about it.Thanks for the advice, Asphodel.
outlier
Hello, everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster. Has anyone here had any experience in the field of geophysics? I'm trying to decide on an undergraduate major that would best prepare me for graduate studies in environmental science.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think in many cases, the better path is undergrad physics, grad physics with geophysics research or possibly geophysics program at this point. The undergrad "geophysics" programs I've seen are more of geology than geophysics, and not really that rigorous. So you'd probably do better taking a normal physics program for now, and filling in electives of interest.

Environmental science is really damn broad. Specifically, you could probably come at it from just about any rigorous math / science / engineering major and do fine. Actual undergrad environmental science programs probably also have drawbacks due to lack of rigor, so if that's available to you, you should also take a very hard look at the specifics of the program before deciding to actually choose it as your primary major.

My first job out of high school was with a geophysics company. All I did there was solder circuit boards and make wire harnesses.

The company did oil exploration using magnetotellurics. They weren't doing well financially when I left (over 25 years ago) and they're out of business now, but I would bet oil exploration companies are doing very well these days.

Asphodel said:
I think in many cases, the better path is undergrad physics, grad physics with geophysics research or possibly geophysics program at this point. The undergrad "geophysics" programs I've seen are more of geology than geophysics, and not really that rigorous. So you'd probably do better taking a normal physics program for now, and filling in electives of interest.

Environmental science is really damn broad. Specifically, you could probably come at it from just about any rigorous math / science / engineering major and do fine. Actual undergrad environmental science programs probably also have drawbacks due to lack of rigor, so if that's available to you, you should also take a very hard look at the specifics of the program before deciding to actually choose it as your primary major.

I am definitely considering an undergrad physics or chemistry major. I love both subjects so it will be hard to choose. The environmental science undergrad program at my school is all fluff and no substance so I ruled that out immediately. Geophysics looks interesting but I'll have to take a class in it to learn more about it.Thanks for the advice, Asphodel.

You can do both, if you plan well. If you're interested in environmental research it might actually be a pretty good idea.

1. What is geophysics?

Geophysics is a field of science that studies the physical properties and processes of the Earth and other planetary bodies. It involves the application of principles and methods from physics, mathematics, and geology to understand the structure, composition, and dynamics of the Earth's interior and its surface.

2. What are some common techniques used in geophysics?

Some common techniques used in geophysics include seismic imaging, gravity and magnetic surveys, electrical and electromagnetic methods, and remote sensing. These techniques allow scientists to collect data about the Earth's subsurface without having to physically drill or excavate.

3. What is the importance of geophysics in our daily lives?

Geophysics has many practical applications that impact our daily lives. For example, it is used to locate and extract natural resources like oil, gas, and minerals, to assess the stability of structures and infrastructure, and to monitor natural hazards such as earthquakes and landslides.

4. What skills and knowledge are required to work in geophysics?

To work in geophysics, one needs a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and geology. Other important skills include data analysis, critical thinking, and problem-solving. Familiarity with computer programming and geophysical software is also beneficial.

5. What are some current challenges facing the field of geophysics?

One current challenge in geophysics is the development of new techniques and technologies for exploring deeper and more complex regions of the Earth's interior. Another challenge is the integration of data from different geophysical methods to obtain a more comprehensive understanding of the Earth's structure and processes. Additionally, there is a growing need for geophysicists to consider the environmental impact of their work and find ways to mitigate any negative effects.