1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any good books on how to do research?

1. Aug 2, 2009 #1
    I'm looking for a book that gives advice on how to research as a professional scientist. I am looking for insight into the culture of industrial research, applying for grants and obtaining funding, methods and techniques to use time your time effectively, etc. I'd prefer something from a physics standpoint.

Does anyone know of a good book that has some of these characteristics?

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2009 #2
    The only books that I know of that give this type of mentoring advice are:
    https://www.amazon.com/Mathematicia...sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1249712697&sr=8-1" by Steven Krantz
    https://www.amazon.com/Letters-Young-Mathematician-Art-Mentoring/dp/0465082319/ref=sip_rech_dp_6" by Ian Stewart

The first book goes through a lot of specifics from applying to graduate schools to early career decisions. I highly recommend it for those searching for a good discussion of what it means to become a career mathematician. The second book is more holistic, as it talks a little about what a mathematician does and things of this nature. Although they're geared for upcoming mathematicians, most if not all of the advice should apply to an upcoming physicist, especially the book by Krantz since most graduate programs in math and physics share a lot of similarities.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook