Finding a Good Book on GR: Experiences & Resources

In summary, this book is a good resource for someone who is moderately comfortable with tensors, and wants to learn more about GR. It is old, but has a lot of great problems and solutions.
BiGyElLoWhAt
Gold Member
What is a good book on GR? I have a good amount of experience with SR, and have spent a good deal of time researching GR, from Wikipedia, to PDF's, and youtube videos. I am moderately comfortable with Tensors, but a book that covers them in depth would be nice, not necessary, however. (I can look things up as I go if I run into problems with the maths).

I started reading Øyvind Grøn's book on PDF, is anyone familiar with that?
Ok, I guess they're lecture notes:
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=øyvind+grøn+GR+PDF

It's been interesting, but I don't know if better material exists. I'm definitely not afraid to struggle, but I think I have a good enough conceptual understanding that if I do struggle, it will be in the maths.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say Wald's General Relativity and the MTW are great for a mathematically rigorous formulation of GR, although they're a bit old.

Likes BiGyElLoWhAt
Old just means it will look cooler on my physics/math collection book shelf ;)

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Old just means it will look cooler on my physics/math collection book shelf ;)
They're fat too (seriously), so you'll have to make quite a bit of space on your shelf.

Haha, it's mostly empty, thus far. I have about a dozen or a dozen and a half books, so there's more than enough room.

I would add W. Thirring "Mathematical Physics", volumes 1 and 2 (solid introduction to classical and relativistic field theory in the language of differential forms and manifold calculus). If not as a main resource, than to at least expand/clarify maths in other books. Rather old, but among my all-time favourites.

Plus it has a fair number of problems with solutions.

Last edited:
Likes BiGyElLoWhAt
That sounds great! Is the title simply Mathematical Physics? I can find Quantum Mathematical Physics by Thirring, but can't seem to find MP vol 1 and 2.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
That sounds great! Is the title simply Mathematical Physics? I can find Quantum Mathematical Physics by Thirring, but can't seem to find MP vol 1 and 2.

No, sorry. I have assumed that they used titles as in original (German) edition. It's this https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387406158/?tag=pfamazon01-20 ; Classical Mathematical Physics, Dynamical Systems and Field Theories. Original four volumes were, as it seems, glued together into Classical (vol 1 and 2) and Quantum (vol 3 and 4) Mathematical Physics. Excuse faulty assumption.

Addendum: It should be worth mentioning that this is quite literally mathematical physics, it is assumed that you know the basics on topics at hand and want to see more in-depth applications of differential geometry, methods of approach and solution of some of the most important cases and such. It's less of a textbook on GR or classical field theory and more of a toolbox for rigorous solutions and mathematics behind them. Featured five-star reviews in the linked Amazon page are very true to what I want to convey.

Last edited:
Likes BiGyElLoWhAt

1. What is GR and why is it important to find a good book on this topic?

GR stands for General Relativity, which is a theory in physics that describes the gravitational interactions between objects in the universe. It is important to find a good book on this topic because GR is a fundamental theory that has revolutionized our understanding of gravity and has been supported by numerous experimental observations. A good book on GR can provide a comprehensive and in-depth understanding of this theory.

2. What are some key experiences that make a book on GR a good resource?

A good resource on GR should have clear and concise explanations of the theory, supported by relevant and up-to-date examples and illustrations. It should also provide exercises and problem sets to help readers apply their knowledge and enhance their understanding. Additionally, a good resource should have references to current research and developments in the field of GR.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong background in physics to understand a book on GR?

While having a strong background in physics can make it easier to understand some of the more complex concepts in GR, it is not necessary. A good book on GR should start with the basics and gradually build upon them, making it accessible to readers with varying levels of knowledge in physics. It should also provide clear explanations and definitions of key terms to aid in understanding.

4. How can I determine if a book on GR is reliable and accurate?

One way to determine the reliability and accuracy of a book on GR is to check the credentials of the author. Look for books written by reputable scientists or experts in the field of GR. You can also read reviews and ratings from other readers to get an idea of the book's quality and accuracy. Additionally, cross-checking information from multiple sources can help verify the accuracy of the book.

5. Are there any online resources that can supplement a book on GR?

Yes, there are many online resources that can supplement a book on GR. These include lecture notes, video lectures, online courses, and interactive simulations. Some reputable universities and institutions also offer free online resources on GR that can enhance your understanding and provide additional insights. However, it is important to ensure that these online resources are from reputable sources and are consistent with the information presented in the book.