To supercharge science, first experiment with how it is funded

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Interesting article from the Economist. To me it seems a bit long on vague ideas and short on specifics, but it would be very good to get the right people at least talking about the problems that they point out.

The article:
The transformation unleashed by increased funding for science during the 20th century is nothing short of remarkable. In the early 1900s research was a cottage industry mostly funded by private firms and philanthropy. Thomas Edison electrified the world from his industrial lab at Menlo Park, and the Carnegie Foundation was the principal backer of Edwin Hubble. Advances in science during the second world war—from the development of radar to the atom bomb—led governments and companies to scale things up. By the mid-1960s America’s federal government was spending 0.6% of gdp on research funding and the share of overall investment in research and development rose to nearly 3%. Inventions including the internet, gps and space telescopes followed.

That dynamism is fizzling out. A growing body of work shows that even as the world spends more on research, the bang for each extra buck has fallen. One explanation for this is that the way science is funded is out of date. Researchers must now contend with a daunting amount of bureaucracy. The rate at which grant applications are accepted has fallen, meaning more of them must be made. Two-fifths of a top scientist’s time is spent on things other than research, such as looking for money. One study found that researchers spent a combined 614 years applying for grants from a single funding body in Australia in 2014 alone. Risky ideas are often put aside.

<snip>
They go on to point out that the current system is, to use their description, "monolothic" by which they mean that it is very concentrated, mostly to universities. They are also clear that they have no specific solutions but they are calling for more discussion by policy makers to realize the existing problems and try to improve and streamline the funding so that scientists can spend more time on science and less on paperwork.
https://www.economist.com/leaders/2...cience-first-experiment-with-how-it-is-funded

Last edited:
Likes Dale and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
The Economist seems not to believe in economics.

They seem to think that if there were a higher grant success rate or the grant process were otherwise less onerous, we would have the same number of scientists just spending less time on proposals.

I also reject the idea that "science is at a standstill". I see no evidence for it. Certainly technology is not at a standstill.

Vanadium 50 said:
I also reject the idea that "science is at a standstill". I see no evidence for it. Certainly technology is not at a standstill.
Huh? Where do they say that science is at a standstill? I don't see where they say it or even imply it.

As for the thrust of the article, do you think that the current methods for funding science do not need any improvement?

Last edited:
phinds said:
Where do they say that science is at a standstill?
They are saying it needs to be "supercharged".

phinds said:
do you think that the current methods for funding science do not need any improvement?
I am most familiar with how things work in the US. Apart from the argument "more is better", it seems to me that most of the problems come from funding science in a democracy: for example, a proposal that would not be supported in Massachusetts or California might be supported in Maine or Wyoming.

However, I like living in a democracy, and until it is replaced with the Science Council of Krypton, this is the price that needs to be paid.

Last edited:
Likes BillTre and phinds
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

Mentor Note -- the full article in the OP is behind a paywall, but the quoted portion is available free by clicking the link in the OP.

Thread is reopened. Thanks for your patience.

Likes topsquark
Almost all funding is and will be acquired from grant writing. That is not going to change. Its a competitive business and competing solicitations for money have to be compared. In theory, this process results in better use of money and advances, but other factors and counter-act this.
There are many non-government sources of funding, but almost all require grant writing. Perhaps in a goal directed private business, it could be run differently. It would still required checking out how good an idea is before sinking a lot of money into it.

The only people not having to do this are already established big-shots (whom it could be argued went through the process earlier), like a MacArthur genius grant.

An excess of PhDs compared to available research positions and funding for them are probably behind some of the issues they are concerned about.

That dynamism is fizzling out.
Well, I'm retired now.

• Haha
Likes topsquark
BillTre said:
Well, I'm retired now.
Awesome comment! I love it!
:bow:-Dan

1. What does it mean to "supercharge" science through funding experiments?

To "supercharge" science means to significantly enhance the efficiency, impact, and innovation in scientific research. Experimenting with how science is funded involves exploring different models and methods of funding to determine which approaches lead to the most effective and groundbreaking scientific discoveries. This can include changes in the allocation of funds, the criteria for funding, the duration of grants, and the accountability measures attached to funding.

2. What are some examples of experimental funding models that could supercharge science?

Experimental funding models might include providing longer-term grants to allow for deeper, more sustained research, offering more flexible use of funds to enable scientists to adapt to emerging research opportunities, or implementing lottery-based or crowd-sourced funding decisions to reduce biases. Other models could involve multi-disciplinary funding that encourages collaboration across different fields, or milestone-driven funding that rewards tangible achievements throughout the research process.

3. What challenges are associated with experimenting with science funding?

Challenges in experimenting with science funding include resistance from traditional funding bodies and stakeholders who are accustomed to conventional methods, the risk of failure or inefficient use of funds in untested models, and the difficulty in measuring and comparing the effectiveness of new versus traditional funding methods. Additionally, there may be bureaucratic and regulatory hurdles to implementing and managing new funding experiments.

4. How could changes in funding impact the pace and direction of scientific research?

Changes in funding could significantly alter both the pace and direction of scientific research. More flexible or innovative funding models might accelerate research by reducing administrative burdens and allowing scientists to pursue more risky and potentially groundbreaking projects. Conversely, poorly designed funding experiments could divert resources away from productive research or push science in directions that are not aligned with broader societal needs.

5. What steps can be taken to effectively implement and evaluate new funding experiments in science?

To effectively implement and evaluate new funding experiments, it is crucial to start with clear objectives and hypotheses about how changes in funding might affect scientific outcomes. Pilot programs can be used to test these hypotheses on a small scale before wider implementation. Continuous monitoring and evaluation should be integral, with mechanisms to gather feedback from all stakeholders involved. This data should then be used to refine funding models iteratively, ensuring that the funding structures evolve based on empirical evidence of what works best in promoting high-impact science.