1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any good Calculus III books that comes with explanations?

1. May 24, 2010 #1
    I am using Stewart's textbook right now and it is horrible. I really wonder how my other classmates get their work done, I feel like I have more trouble than them. Weird thing is, most of them don't even pay attention in class.

Anyways, are there any books that give Calc III exercises and give step by step solutions? Stewart's book and solution manual doesn't give even number solutions for some reason (what a rip off $60). My prof is like terrible explaining stuff, so I am kinda screwed.

I also have tried Mathematical Methods by Wiley, but they don't have enough exercises
  2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2010 #2
    What is Calculus III?
    (ie, is there a specific syllabus?)
  4. May 24, 2010 #3
    Oh sorry, Multivariable Calculus

Syllabus includes Vectors and Geometry, Vector Valued functions, Multivariable calculus, multiple integrals.
  5. May 25, 2010 #4

My university uses Thomas' Calculus w/ Early Trancendentals for all three physics courses. I've only taken Calc I with the book and it helped me greatly; I'm taking Calc II this semester with the book. A new edition (12/e) was just released, but I haven't looked at its content. Calculus 6/e by Edwards and Penney is pretty rigorous from what I've read. The recent mathwonk praised the textbooks from Edwards and Penney (maybe because they teach in the same department).

Good luck finding a book that suits your needs!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook