Any Good (HEPA) Air Purifiers of Small Size & w/o Pre-Filters?

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
kyphysics
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00007E7RY/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I've owned different versions of the above air purifier. It's big and clunky and uses a "pre-filter" that wraps around the internal HEPA filter core.

The HEPA filter is not changed regularly, but the pre-filter must be annoyingly changed every 3 months (that's what the manual recommends, but I've used a 4-6 month time scale for changing mine). At 6 months, I admit the pre-filter is nasty and has all sorts of white and grey matter stuck to it (I run the purifier about 10 hours a day - rotating rooms). The pre-filter filters out larger particles and those that make it past the pre-filter will meet their demise at the HEPA filter.

Negatives - you have to pay $35-45 for those pre-filters. That adds up to significant yearly money.

Does anyone use a HEPA filter (or better - True HEPA, etc.) air purifier that weighs less than 15 pounds and doesn't use pre-filters? I'd love to get a new model that I don't have to break my back to lug around and doesn't require constant ~$40 maintenance costs.

Tangentially-Related: Does any use a good HEPA vacuum (not a small handheld) that is less than $300. I find that the good ones cost $300+ mostly.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kyphysics said:
Negatives - you have to pay $35-45 for those pre-filters. That adds up to significant yearly money.

Does anyone use a HEPA filter (or better - True HEPA, etc.) air purifier that weighs less than 15 pounds and doesn't use pre-filters?
In the absence of a pre-filter, you will have to change the HEPA filters periodically. Are pre-filters costlier than HEPA filters?

Likes jedishrfu and russ_watters
Wrichik Basu said:
In the absence of a pre-filter, you will have to change the HEPA filters periodically. Are pre-filters costlier than HEPA filters?
I wish there was a design of one that didn't require those costs at all. . .at least not 3-4x a year.

There's a few principles that should be understood here:
  • Since a HEPA filter eliminates basically all particles in its airstream, the exact efficiency of the filter isn't very important. The effectiveness of the device is almost entirely a function of airflow. Twice the airflow, twice the particles removed from the air (roughly). So, airflow is pretty much the only significant indicator of an air purifier's performance.
  • Airflow is proportional to physical size/filter area. So bigger filters/units means better filtration.
  • Filter efficiency is not a function of filter load, but airflow is. But it also takes a lot of filter loading to significantly affect airflow. Only change filters when they look heavily loaded. Also, consider cleaning them instead of changing them.

• Informative
Likes Wrichik Basu and kyphysics
You can reduce the cost by adding an additional prefilter over the existing prefilter. Filter blanket material is available in most hardware stores, which is where I found this:
Filter.jpg

The pressure drop is very low, and it is cheap.

• Informative
Likes russ_watters, FactChecker and berkeman
jrmichler said:
You can reduce the cost by adding an additional prefilter over the existing prefilter. Filter blanket material is available in most hardware stores, which is where I found this:
View attachment 333675
Great idea! But I am not sure that that looks like the advertised 1" thick. I would check that. ;-)

• Wow
Likes kyphysics
russ_watters said:
There's a few principles that should be understood here:
  • Since a HEPA filter eliminates basically all particles in its airstream, the exact efficiency of the filter isn't very important. The effectiveness of the device is almost entirely a function of airflow. Twice the airflow, twice the particles removed from the air (roughly). So, airflow is pretty much the only significant indicator of an air purifier's performance.
  • Airflow is proportional to physical size/filter area. So bigger filters/units means better filtration.
  • Filter efficiency is not a function of filter load, but airflow is. But it also takes a lot of filter loading to significantly affect airflow. Only change filters when they look heavily loaded. Also, consider cleaning them instead of changing them.
Thanks for informative post.

Do you or anyone else have any thoughts on placement of a purifier. I don't mean so much in terms of room location laterally, but more so in terms of height. I try to place mine in the center of the room (occasionally I'll rotate closer to the edges to try capture more there, but it's mostly center), but I've always wondered about height. I started placing mine on the floor, but then thought about particles floating in the air higher above it. So, I'd alternative at times. I'd sometimes raise it up on a table. Obviously, I can't put this gargantuan purifier on a string to hang like a foot or two from ceiling, but would height matter in terms of the machine's ability to capture all the stuff floating in a room HIGHER than the placement?

jrmichler said:
View attachment 333675
Would that 3rd filter layer reduce the suctioning ability of the fan in the purifier (i.e., like giving it too many barriers?

kyphysics said:
Do you or anyone else have any thoughts on placement of a purifier. I don't mean so much in terms of room location laterally, but more so in terms of height.
Height shouldn't matter. Most air purifiers pull air in from the sides and exhaust out the top. This creates a circulation pattern which pushes particles down.....which is where they want to go anyway due to gravity.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes kyphysics

1. What are the benefits of using a small-sized HEPA air purifier without a pre-filter?

Small-sized HEPA air purifiers without pre-filters are beneficial because they are compact and easily portable, making them ideal for small spaces like personal offices or bedrooms. The absence of a pre-filter means fewer components to maintain, although it might lead to quicker saturation of the HEPA filter with larger particles. These devices are effective in trapping at least 99.97% of particles that are 0.3 microns in diameter, including pollen, dust mites, and virus particles.

2. How often do I need to replace the HEPA filter in a small air purifier without a pre-filter?

The frequency of HEPA filter replacement can vary depending on the specific model and the air quality in your environment. Generally, without a pre-filter to capture larger particles, the HEPA filter may need to be replaced more frequently — typically every 6 to 12 months. It's important to check the manufacturer's recommendations and monitor the filter's condition regularly.

3. Can a small HEPA air purifier without a pre-filter be as effective as one with a pre-filter?

Yes, a small HEPA air purifier without a pre-filter can still be highly effective at removing airborne particles. The main difference is that it may require more frequent maintenance of the HEPA filter since it directly intercepts all particulate matter, both large and small. This can affect the longevity of the filter but does not necessarily impact the purification efficiency against small particles.

4. What are the best places to use a small-sized HEPA air purifier without a pre-filter?

Small-sized HEPA air purifiers without pre-filters are best used in spaces where air quality concerns are primarily about fine particles, such as bedrooms, home offices, or small living rooms. They are particularly useful in personal spaces where noise levels and space utilization are significant considerations.

5. Are there any specific maintenance tips for HEPA air purifiers without pre-filters?

Maintenance for HEPA air purifiers without pre-filters generally involves regular checking and replacing of the HEPA filter, as it gets clogged more quickly without a pre-filter to catch larger debris. It's also important to keep the exterior of the purifier clean and ensure that the air intake and outlet are not blocked. Following the manufacturer’s guidelines for care and maintenance will help prolong the unit's life and maintain its efficiency.