Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any good sources for starter motors (without gearbox/solinoid)?

1. Jan 13, 2009 #1
    I'm trying to find a DC motor in the 3-3.5kW 12-24V range (Preferably 24V) for a project that will utilize the motor at maximum power for occasional short bursts of maybe 2-3 seconds in duration at most. The motor needs to be fairly small, lightweight, and CHEAP ($100 or less). Starter motors exactly fit what I am looking for, but are still kind of pricey ($100-200). Does anyone know of a good source that sells starter motors or an equivalent without the gearbox/solenoid/etc in the price range I am looking? The RPM range is not very important, but the higher RPM the better. Also, brush/magnet types are not important either.

If not, what about a common vehicle that uses a starter with those specs that I could source used starters from?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2009 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Truck scrapyard.

In any event, expecting a motor which can offer the torque and reliability of a starter motor for under $100 is pretty unreasonably.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?