Any good sources for starter motors (without gearbox/solinoid)?

In summary, the speaker is looking for a 3-3.5kW 12-24V DC motor, preferably 24V, for a project that requires short bursts of maximum power. They want the motor to be small, lightweight, and affordable (under $100). They mention that starter motors fit their criteria, but are still expensive. They are asking if anyone knows where to find a cheaper alternative, or if they could source a used starter motor from a common vehicle. The RPM and brush/magnet types are not important. The suggested solution is to check a truck scrapyard, but the speaker acknowledges that finding a motor with the same torque and reliability as a starter for under $100 may be unreasonable.
LimitedSlip7
I'm trying to find a DC motor in the 3-3.5kW 12-24V range (Preferably 24V) for a project that will utilize the motor at maximum power for occasional short bursts of maybe 2-3 seconds in duration at most. The motor needs to be fairly small, lightweight, and CHEAP ($100 or less). Starter motors exactly fit what I am looking for, but are still kind of pricey ($100-200). Does anyone know of a good source that sells starter motors or an equivalent without the gearbox/solenoid/etc in the price range I am looking? The RPM range is not very important, but the higher RPM the better. Also, brush/magnet types are not important either.

If not, what about a common vehicle that uses a starter with those specs that I could source used starters from?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Truck scrapyard.

In any event, expecting a motor which can offer the torque and reliability of a starter motor for under $100 is pretty unreasonably.

Dear fellow scientist,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance in finding a suitable starter motor for your project. After conducting some research, I have found a few potential sources for you to consider.

Firstly, I suggest checking out online marketplaces such as eBay or Amazon, where you can find a wide range of starter motors at varying prices. You may be able to find a used starter motor that meets your specifications at a lower cost.

Another option is to look for industrial surplus stores or junkyards in your area. These places often have a variety of motors available at discounted prices. You may be able to find a suitable starter motor from a common vehicle at a lower cost.

Additionally, you can try contacting manufacturers or suppliers of starter motors directly. They may have surplus or discontinued models that they can sell at a lower cost.

It is also worth considering alternative motor types such as permanent magnet motors or servo motors, which may be more cost-effective for your project.

Lastly, I recommend reaching out to your local universities or research institutions. They may have surplus motors available for purchase or be able to provide guidance on where to find them.

I hope these suggestions are helpful in your search for a starter motor. Good luck with your project!

Best regards,

1. Where can I find a reliable source for starter motors without gearbox and solenoid?

There are several options for purchasing starter motors without a gearbox and solenoid. One option is to purchase from an online retailer that specializes in automotive parts. You can also check with your local auto parts store or a junkyard for used starter motors. Additionally, you may be able to find starter motors without a gearbox and solenoid directly from the manufacturer.

2. How do I know if a starter motor without gearbox and solenoid is compatible with my vehicle?

It is important to check the specifications and compatibility of the starter motor before purchasing. Look for the make, model, and year of your vehicle and compare it to the specifications of the starter motor. You can also consult with a mechanic or refer to your vehicle's manual for more information.

3. What are the main differences between starter motors with and without a gearbox and solenoid?

Starter motors with a gearbox and solenoid are typically more expensive and have more components, making them more complex. Starter motors without a gearbox and solenoid are simpler and may be less expensive, but may require additional parts to function properly.

4. Can I remove the gearbox and solenoid from my current starter motor and replace it with a new one without those components?

It is not recommended to remove the gearbox and solenoid from your current starter motor and replace it with a new one without those components. Starter motors are designed to work with specific components and removing them may cause compatibility issues and potential damage to your vehicle. It is best to purchase a starter motor without a gearbox and solenoid specifically for your vehicle.

5. Are starter motors without a gearbox and solenoid more reliable than those with those components?

The reliability of a starter motor depends on various factors, including the quality of the product and how well it is maintained. Both starter motors with and without a gearbox and solenoid can be reliable if they are of good quality and properly installed and maintained. It is important to choose a reputable source and follow proper installation and maintenance procedures for the best performance of your starter motor.