Any Opinion on South Dakota School of Mines?

In summary: HA.In summary, the South Dakota School of Mines is a cheap school that is not well known outside of South Dakota. The mechanical engineering program at South Dakota School of Mines is decent, but it is not as good as the program at Colorado School of Mines.
iwannabedaguy
I'm planning to transfer to a university soon, and as of now I'm pretty much dead set on studying at Colorado School of Mines. The reason why I'm asking about South Dakota School of Mines is because the cost of attendance is very, very, attractive: $14K a year for out of state students.

The problem is that I can't find much information on the place besides the standard issue propaganda. I honestly haven't even heard of the place till a few months back, though I'm not kidding myself because I'm sure Colorado School of Mines isn't all that well known outside of Colorado.

What I'm particularly interested in is their mechanical engineering program.

Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know, some other decent schools are just as cheap right? University of Kentucky has an engineering program that is pretty decent(top 100 us news and world report) and it is nearly the same price as South Dakota(16k) and its not that hard to get into. Also, where are you transferring from, community college, technical school, another university? Is there no way you could get any scholarships and have you checked?

I'm transferring from community college. I am sure I am able to get scholarships (I mean who isnt?), though I haven't apply for as many as I should.

Aside from the point, but do you want to bed a guy? or be da guy? Either way, thanks for the laugh :)

Anyways. Colorado School Of Mines is definitely recognized as a good engineering school. Never heard of South Dakota School Of Mines... I'd stay away, honestly.

Tickitata said:
Colorado School Of Mines is definitely recognized as a good engineering school. Never heard of South Dakota School Of Mines...

Same here, before today. Although I do note via a small speck of research that they have repeatedly been one of "America's Best College Buys" for what that may be worth. Note: I once dated a guy that scraped his icy windshield with a small twig rather than an ice-scraper, claiming it's value for cost was infinite, since it's denominator was zero. Personally, I'd still rather use at least a 10-cent paint stir stick.

I'd say much will depend on where you want to go and what you want to do after your undergraduate education. Would you mind working in SD for a good amount of time right after undergrad (where your degree may hold the most weight until you gain experience on your resume and can transfer elsewhere), or do you plan to pursue a Ph.D. in your field (where your degree will be ranked against other applicants' based on the admission committee members' name-recognition and knowledge, such as that we're presenting here)?

Well, thanks for all of yall opinions.

I'm not sure if I want to pursue a Ph.D, though I wouldn't say no if the opportunity presents itself. Basically I want to have as many options as possible available to me when I'm finish with my major. Who knows what the future have in store for me. It sounds like studying at the Colorado School of Mines is my best option.

It's the pits.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

1. What is the reputation of the South Dakota School of Mines in the scientific community?

The South Dakota School of Mines is well-respected in the scientific community, particularly in the fields of engineering and geology. It has a strong emphasis on hands-on learning and research opportunities, which make its graduates highly sought after by employers.

2. How does the South Dakota School of Mines rank among other universities?

The South Dakota School of Mines is consistently ranked among the top universities in the nation for engineering and geology programs. In 2021, it was ranked #1 in the nation for return on investment for engineering majors by PayScale.

3. What majors and programs does the South Dakota School of Mines offer?

The South Dakota School of Mines offers a variety of majors in engineering, science, and mathematics, as well as specialized programs in fields such as paleontology and mining engineering. It also has a strong graduate program with opportunities for research and advanced study.

4. What is the campus and student life like at the South Dakota School of Mines?

The South Dakota School of Mines has a small campus with a close-knit community and a strong focus on academic and career success. It offers a variety of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in, as well as outdoor activities and recreational opportunities in the surrounding Black Hills region.

5. What are the admission requirements for the South Dakota School of Mines?

The admission requirements for the South Dakota School of Mines vary depending on the program, but generally include a strong academic record, standardized test scores, and letters of recommendation. More information can be found on the university's website or by contacting their admissions office.