Need help picking an undergrad engineering school

In summary, the speaker is a high school senior trying to choose a college for next year. They have narrowed down their options to schools including Colorado School of Mines, Iowa State University, Northwestern University, University of Michigan, University of Minnesota, and University of Nebraska. They are wondering if attending a lower-ranked state flagship like U Nebraska would impact their future opportunities in engineering, and are also curious about the effects of budget cuts on schools like University of Minnesota. They are also considering if a smaller tech school like Colorado School of Mines would offer the same opportunities as larger schools. The speaker has the financial means to attend any of these schools without debt, but is aware of the significant opportunity cost. They have also received advice that Minnesota is strong in mechanical
minesweeper
If you don't want to read all the background stuff, here are my three main questions:

1. For chemical, civil, and mechanical engineering, would attending a lower-ranked state flagship like U Nebraska significantly impact my future opportunities? I want to work in engineering, not finance.

2. How much are students attending shortly after major university-wide budget cuts affected by these reductions in state support? This applies to current attempts by the MN Legislature to cut funding for UMN.

3. I've always been more interested in large schools - but could I get the same kind of choices at a smaller tech school like Colorado School of Mines?

Here's the background story:

I'm a high school senior struggling to choose somewhere for college next year. Here are my options, with cost and brief comments:

Colorado School of Mines
~$27k/yr total

Iowa State U
~$20k/yr total

Northwestern U
~$52k/yr total

U Michigan
~$48k/yr total

U Minnesota
~$7k/yr total

U Nebraska
~$3k/yr total

I am very fortunate to be able to afford any of these without debt. However, some of these sums are obviously quite large and carry significant opportunity cost.

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Minnesota is strong especially in mechanical engineering and looks like a good value (if you can take the winters).

FAQ: Need help picking an undergrad engineering school

1. What factors should I consider when choosing an undergraduate engineering school?

When choosing an undergraduate engineering school, you should consider factors such as the program curriculum, faculty expertise, research opportunities, location, cost, and reputation. It is important to find a school that aligns with your academic and career goals, and offers a well-rounded education.

2. How do I know if a school's engineering program is accredited?

You can check if a school's engineering program is accredited by looking for accreditation from organizations such as ABET (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology) or the Engineering Accreditation Commission. These accreditations ensure that the program meets high standards of quality and prepares students for the professional engineering field.

3. Is it better to attend a specialized engineering school or a university with an engineering program?

This ultimately depends on your individual preferences and career goals. Specialized engineering schools may offer a more focused curriculum and smaller class sizes, while universities with engineering programs may offer a wider range of courses and opportunities for interdisciplinary studies. Consider what type of learning environment and resources you prefer before making a decision.

4. How important is the school's location when choosing an undergraduate engineering program?

The location of a school can be an important factor to consider when choosing an undergraduate engineering program. If you are interested in a certain field or industry, it may be beneficial to attend a school located in an area with a strong presence in that field. Additionally, the location can impact internship and job opportunities, as well as cost of living and overall quality of life.

5. What resources does the school offer to help students succeed in their engineering studies?

When researching undergraduate engineering schools, be sure to look into the resources and support services offered to students. This may include academic advising, tutoring, career services, and opportunities for hands-on learning and research. These resources can greatly contribute to your success as an engineering student and future engineer.