Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any safe free software to convert Word to PDF?

1. Jun 14, 2012 #1
    Any suggestion on a free program to convert Word to PDF. I was playing around and I got malware that I am still trying to clean up.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I have had mostly good luck with PrimoPDF. It's freeware that puts a PDF writer as an option in your Printer selection list when you go to print from Word (or other programs). Sometimes it throws false errors, but still makes the PDF file just fine. I haven't updated my installs for a while, so maybe they've fixed that weird behavior.

4. Jun 14, 2012 #3
    Thanks

I downloaded and installed. I do not see the new printer. But it installed the MailWasher Pro!!! What is that?

5. Jun 15, 2012 #4

chiro

Science Advisor

http://www.pdf995.com/

If you want more options search for PDF Printer Driver.

6. Jun 15, 2012 #5
    CutePDF http://cutepdf.com/ Basically you end up "printing" to a pdf file

7. Jun 15, 2012 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You do realize that if you have Microsoft Word, one of the save options is PDF, yes?

8. Jun 15, 2012 #7

berkeman

Oh cool! I didn't know that was in there. I checked, and my current Word version does indeed have that feature. I'll give it a try. Thanks phinds!

9. Jun 15, 2012 #8
    I have the 2003 Office Suit. I don't see that option.

I got the PrimoPDF running, it's all good.

thanks

10. Jun 15, 2012 #9
    This is only available in 2007 and 2010 only. It was never implemented in 2003 although MS may have a tool for it that you can download.

11. Jun 15, 2012 #10

phyzguy

Science Advisor

OpenOffice, which is basically a free version of Microsoft Office, and includes versions of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, has an "export as pdf" option. It is available here.

12. Jun 18, 2012 #11
    Install the 123pdf converter. With this software you can covert your word documents to pdf. It is a free software to download.

13. Jun 18, 2012 #12

Hepth

Gold Member

14. Jul 9, 2012 #13

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Hasn't been mentioned, but PDF Creator is free (donation ware) and open-source:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

It installs a printer driver (just like Acrobat), and allows you to combine several documents together (print them in succession, wait, and then combine). There are several programs called "PDF Creator"--you have to get the one that's on Sourceforge. The one caveat is that it prints to A4 by default, but you just have to go into the printer configuration and change it to US Letter (assuming that you're in the US / Canada). The other caveat is to disable installation of the Yahoo toolbar (can't fault them for that--gotta defray *some* of the bills...)

15. Apr 8, 2013 #14
  16. Apr 9, 2013 #15

Borek

Not to mention the fact you can prepare pdfs without installing anything. First, add a postcript printer (I don't consider it to be an "installation", you have these drivers on the disk as part of Windows, they are just not used). Second, print to a file. Third, use some external service to convert ps to pdf.

It usually requires some tinkering with the printer version, last time I tried it was some Linotronic that gave good results.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook