Any safe free software to convert Word to PDF?

In summary, there are several options for converting Word to PDF for free, such as PrimoPDF, CutePDF, PDF995, and PDF Creator. Some versions of Microsoft Word also have a built-in "save as PDF" feature. OpenOffice and LibreOffice are also free programs that can save to PDF. Additionally, users can print to a file and use an external service to convert the file to PDF. It is important to disable any additional installations, such as toolbars, when downloading these programs.
yungman
Any suggestion on a free program to convert Word to PDF. I was playing around and I got malware that I am still trying to clean up.

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
I have had mostly good luck with PrimoPDF. It's freeware that puts a PDF writer as an option in your Printer selection list when you go to print from Word (or other programs). Sometimes it throws false errors, but still makes the PDF file just fine. I haven't updated my installs for a while, so maybe they've fixed that weird behavior.

berkeman said:
I have had mostly good luck with PrimoPDF. It's freeware that puts a PDF writer as an option in your Printer selection list when you go to print from Word (or other programs). Sometimes it throws false errors, but still makes the PDF file just fine. I haven't updated my installs for a while, so maybe they've fixed that weird behavior.

Thanks

I downloaded and installed. I do not see the new printer. But it installed the MailWasher Pro! What is that?

yungman said:
Any suggestion on a free program to convert Word to PDF. I was playing around and I got malware that I am still trying to clean up.

Thanks

http://www.pdf995.com/

If you want more options search for PDF Printer Driver.

yungman said:

Thanks

CutePDF http://cutepdf.com/ Basically you end up "printing" to a pdf file

You do realize that if you have Microsoft Word, one of the save options is PDF, yes?

phinds said:
You do realize that if you have Microsoft Word, one of the save options is PDF, yes?

Oh cool! I didn't know that was in there. I checked, and my current Word version does indeed have that feature. I'll give it a try. Thanks phinds!

I have the 2003 Office Suit. I don't see that option.

I got the PrimoPDF running, it's all good.

thanks

phinds said:

This is only available in 2007 and 2010 only. It was never implemented in 2003 although MS may have a tool for it that you can download.

OpenOffice, which is basically a free version of Microsoft Office, and includes versions of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, has an "export as pdf" option. It is available here.

Install the 123pdf converter. With this software you can covert your word documents to pdf. It is a free software to download.

Hasn't been mentioned, but PDF Creator is free (donation ware) and open-source:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

It installs a printer driver (just like Acrobat), and allows you to combine several documents together (print them in succession, wait, and then combine). There are several programs called "PDF Creator"--you have to get the one that's on Sourceforge. The one caveat is that it prints to A4 by default, but you just have to go into the printer configuration and change it to US Letter (assuming that you're in the US / Canada). The other caveat is to disable installation of the Yahoo toolbar (can't fault them for that--gotta defray *some* of the bills...)

Not to mention the fact you can prepare pdfs without installing anything. First, add a postcript printer (I don't consider it to be an "installation", you have these drivers on the disk as part of Windows, they are just not used). Second, print to a file. Third, use some external service to convert ps to pdf.

It usually requires some tinkering with the printer version, last time I tried it was some Linotronic that gave good results.

1. How do I convert a Word document to a PDF for free?

There are many safe and free software options available for converting Word documents to PDFs. Some popular options include Google Docs, Microsoft Word Online, and Adobe Acrobat Online. These programs allow you to upload your Word document and convert it to a PDF with just a few clicks.

2. Is it safe to use free software to convert Word to PDF?

Yes, there are many reputable and secure free software options for converting Word to PDF. However, it is always important to research the software and make sure it is from a trusted source before downloading or using it.

3. Will the formatting of my Word document be preserved when converting to PDF?

In most cases, yes. As long as the software you are using is reliable, the formatting of your Word document should be preserved when converting to PDF. However, it is always a good idea to double check the converted PDF to make sure everything looks as it should.

4. Can I convert a Word document to PDF without an internet connection?

Yes, there are some free software options that allow you to convert Word to PDF without an internet connection. These programs typically have a downloadable desktop version that you can use without needing an internet connection.

5. Is there a limit to the size of the Word document that can be converted to PDF with free software?

It depends on the specific software you are using. Some free software may have a file size limit for conversion, while others may not have any limitations. It is best to check the software's website or documentation for any limits on file size.