Any suggestion for mrthods of studying electronics?

I am first year engineering(electonics ) student. I have much passion in this subject. But I know the passion is not everything. Following right way is important. Whenever I lok my text book, then enormous and complicated circuits dance infront of me. Anyway I tackle them by brain an understan them almost completely(I think). Only understanding won't be fine , I shoul be very creative and skilled to desighn circuits. But How do I get that skill . Will i have to break the electonic machine and then study that way. I don't know . I want to get suggestion from the engineering student ,how they are studying and doing their best . May be the professionals know, how they think the students should go during their study time. I am not talking about grades , I am just talking about geting good skills. Any suggestion please. Advance thanks.

Answers and Replies

I am also interested in what more experienced people have to say about this. I found that buying some electronics/robotics books and doing the small outlined projects helps. I am currently studying Robot Building for Begginers, but I dont have time to execute the project because of my heavy course load, but i did buy a bunch of resistors, capacitors, multi meter etc, so as soon as I have time to delve in i will. I would suggest you try something similar. You should also check out Arduino and familiarize yourself with programming.(I need to check it out too when i have time).

Best of luck.

I am also interested in what more experienced people have to say about this. I found that buying some electronics/robotics books and doing the small outlined projects helps. I am currently studying Robot Building for Begginers, but I dont have time to execute the project because of my heavy course load, but i did buy a bunch of resistors, capacitors, multi meter etc, so as soon as I have time to delve in i will. I would suggest you try something similar. You should also check out Arduino and familiarize yourself with programming.(I need to check it out too when i have time).

Best of luck.

Thanks . I also bought some of capacitors,diodes,transformers,multimetre etc. But I don't know about arduino.

just tinker. use a combination of pen-and-paper design, software circuit simulation, breadboarding/building, and maybe matlab/scilab. do both analog and digital, power and signal. spend a lot of time reading datasheets and app notes. stay away from high power/voltage.