How to find electromagnetic force between nucleus and electron?

In summary: This changes the energy of the photons that are ejected from the atomIn summary, you would need an electric field of around 4.5v/c to remove an electron from graphene.
Rakib771
Hello, I'm new here and honestly I'm not a physics student. I'm studying engineering and so, understand little of physics. I am trying to find the bond force of graphene's free electron. That means, the electromagnetic force by which the electron is bound to the nucleus. I can only calculate it using Coulomb's law but I suppose that wouldn't be correct in this case. So, any help is appreciated.

PS: Another way of simplifying it would be, "How much static electric field is required to detach the electron?"

Physics news on Phys.org
That's not something you can calculate simply.

You can try to google "graphene ionization energy" or "graphene work function" to find how much energy is needed to remove an electron from graphene (it turns ou to be around 4.5 eV).

DrClaude said:
That's not something you can calculate simply.

You can try to google "graphene ionization energy" or "graphene work function" to find how much energy is needed to remove an electron from graphene (it turns ou to be around 4.5 eV).
Thanks, for the reply. But that is not what I'm trying to find. I'm trying to find the necessary electric field (or potential) to ionize the electron.

Rakib771 said:
. But that is not what I'm trying to find.

it is

Rakib771 said:
I'm trying to find the necessary electric field (or potential) to ionize the electron.
you don't ionise the electron, you ionise that atom, by adding/removing energy, to cause it to loose (or gain) the electron(s)

in the case of your graphene, it's 4.5 eVhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ioniz...ich,charged atom or molecule is called an ion.

eV is a unit of energy, not voltage. Or field.

An order of magnitude estimate is the electron charge divided by the Bohr radius. In real life, an answer is not simple:
  1. This requires a quantum mechanical description of the atom
  2. This requires a quantum mechanical description of the electric field
  3. The other electrons in the atom move in response to the applied field, changing the overall electric field

1. What is electromagnetic force?

Electromagnetic force is a fundamental force of nature that is responsible for the interactions between electrically charged particles. It is one of the four fundamental forces, along with gravity, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force.

2. How is electromagnetic force related to the nucleus and electron?

Electromagnetic force is the force that holds the nucleus and electrons together in an atom. The positively charged nucleus and negatively charged electrons are attracted to each other by the electromagnetic force, keeping the atom stable.

3. How can I calculate the electromagnetic force between a nucleus and electron?

The electromagnetic force between a nucleus and electron can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

4. What factors affect the strength of the electromagnetic force between a nucleus and electron?

The strength of the electromagnetic force between a nucleus and electron is affected by the distance between them, as well as the magnitude of their charges. The force increases as the charges increase and decreases as the distance between them increases.

5. How does the electromagnetic force between a nucleus and electron contribute to chemical bonding?

The electromagnetic force between a nucleus and electron is responsible for the formation of chemical bonds between atoms. When atoms share or transfer electrons, the electromagnetic force between their nuclei and electrons is what holds them together in a molecule.