Any suggestion on how to integrate this trig equation?

In summary, to factor a trig equation, one can use the properties of trigonometric functions or the quadratic formula. A trigonometric substitution can also be used to solve an integral involving trigonometric functions. There are various methods for solving trig equations, including factoring, using identities, and graphing. To check the correctness of a solution, one can plug it back into the original equation or evaluate both sides using a calculator.
corona7w
I am absolutely stoned by this equation. I've looked through all the trig identities and the only one that comes close to be used in here is sin2u = 2sin(u)cos(u), but there is that lamba... Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-04-29 at 9.54.35 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-04-29 at 9.54.35 PM.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 491
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The λ in that integral is just another constant, no different than 2.

Hint: What is sin(a+b) + sin(a-b)?

1. How do I factor this trig equation?

To factor a trig equation, you can use the properties of trigonometric functions, such as the sum and difference identities, to simplify the equation. You can also use the quadratic formula if the equation is in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0.

2. Can I use a trigonometric substitution to solve this equation?

Yes, you can use a trigonometric substitution to solve an integral that involves trigonometric functions. This method involves substituting one of the trigonometric functions with a variable, and then using trigonometric identities to simplify the equation.

3. Is there a specific method for solving trig equations?

There are several methods for solving trig equations, including factoring, using trigonometric identities, using the quadratic formula, and using trigonometric substitutions. The method you choose will depend on the specific equation you are trying to solve.

4. Can I graph this trig equation to find the solutions?

Yes, you can graph a trig equation to visually see the solutions. You can use a graphing calculator or online graphing tool to plot the equation and find the x-coordinates of the points where the graph intersects the x-axis.

5. How do I know if my solution to the trig equation is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. You can also use a calculator to evaluate both sides of the equation and see if they are equal.