Any suggestions for careers for me?

In summary, the conversation suggests that the person is in high school and is interested in a career that involves groundbreaking technology and science, travel, and opportunities for advancement. Suggestions given include pursuing a PhD and working for the government in fields such as nanotechnology or computer science. Reading textbooks is also recommended for gaining knowledge and skills in these fields.
thewhills
While I am only in high school, I would LIKE to learn a bit more on possible career since I KNOW this will be a problem in the future.

Here is short:

I am a huge geek
I like groundbreaking technology and science and bringing it into everyday life
I like to be on the move, analyzing things..etc.
I like politics a bit and travel A LOT too.
I want opportunities to advance
I want a nice job,office and enough money to support a family.

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are a US citizen, I would get a PhD in something (anything) and then go into government work as an analyst. Work for the DOD or CIA or State Department. They need lots of geeks and there is lots of travel. People I work with regularly travel everywhere. You name it and someone in my office has gone there or are going there: Europe, Mid-East, Australia, you name it. It is not the highest pay but you don't starve and the benefits are great. I recommend a PhD in something because that gives you the best chance to advance.

Yeah, I will definitely look into that.
I'll maybe try for an internship in college.

Not to mention unparalleled job security.

Politics and travel? Why not take a year out after high school and travel to "politically sensitive" destinations/projects. For instance, third world teaching/solar build/count endangered species/sailing tall ships... Taking a year should also give you more perspective on what you want to do with your life. You might want to watch "ONCE UPON A TIME IN MEXICO (2003) *** Antonio Banderas, Johnny Depp,..." before deciding to travel abroad with the CIA to see the world (or not).

So basically you want the american dream.

They sell this dream early on I can see.

^^^^
Yes

BTW,Thanks for all the help.

Honestly, that list looks pretty generic. It doesn't give enough information about your real interests to narrow down potential careers at all.

The good news is, whatever you find yourself liking, those qualities you've described will make it easier to find and keep a job in any field...willingness to travel, interest in implementing new technologies, want to advance in your career, etc.

Any suggestions Moonbear?
Or Questions to help me narrow it down?
Any books I can read?

Trader in high finance ? :biggrin:

Trader the 2nd method...Making you so rich you can do anything

I think vanesch meant his suggestion as a joke, in light of the current crisis on Wall Street. See the big grin?

I saw the intent,but responded otherwise.

thewhills said:
Any suggestions Moonbear?
Or Questions to help me narrow it down?
Any books I can read?

bump

If all else fails..you can always instead join the Army and be an American Hero. Lot's of travel with the latest High Tech war industries equipment to play with, No? :rolleyes: :tongue:

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/307/12ob0.jpg

I'm kidding...just messing with you Haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are best at science, math and computers, then get a masters or phD in computer science. If you are citizen of USA, you will make fortune in COMPUTER FORENSICS, you can work for FBI or CIA!

For books, how about a Calc text or something of the sort?
Read textbooks. Best advice I can give.

What are some careers that align with my interests and skills?

There are many different careers that could align with your interests and skills. Some examples could include: research scientist, data analyst, science writer, science policy analyst, science teacher, environmental consultant, and many more. It's important to explore your interests and skills further to determine which career path may be the best fit for you.

What steps can I take to determine the right career for me?

To determine the right career for you, it's important to do some self-reflection and research. You can start by assessing your interests, values, and skills. Then, research different career options and see which ones align with your strengths and interests. You can also consider talking to a career counselor or shadowing professionals in different fields to gain more insight.

Are there any particular industries or fields that I should consider for a career?

There are many different industries and fields that you could consider for a career. Some popular ones for scientists include healthcare, technology, environmental science, and education. However, it's important to explore your interests and skills further to determine which specific industry or field may be the best fit for you.

How can I gain relevant experience for a potential career?

To gain relevant experience for a potential career, you can consider internships, volunteer work, or part-time jobs in your field of interest. You can also look for opportunities to participate in research projects, attend conferences or workshops, or join professional organizations related to your desired career path. Additionally, gaining transferable skills such as communication, teamwork, and problem-solving can also be valuable for any career.

What are some resources I can use to explore different career options?

There are many resources available to help you explore different career options. Some examples include career websites such as Indeed or LinkedIn, job fairs, career workshops, and informational interviews with professionals in your field of interest. You can also check with your university's career center for additional resources and support.