1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone get interviewed by google?

1. Dec 14, 2007 #1
    Hello everyone.

I was going to apply to google (in a Intern Software Engineering position) and I was just wondering if anyone knew what types of questions they experienced in person or over the phone interviews.

Thanks!

-Cory

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2007 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have a friend who works at Google...unfortunately, I haven't talked to him in a while. I know they're very selective, and that they value critical thinking skills and puzzles.

Good luck! Google is one of the most desirable places to work. You'll love it if you get in.

4. Dec 14, 2007 #3
    So I heard!

I'm currently with IBM but am finding fast that IBM isn't all what its said to be with benefits as a full time employee, they actually stop giving yearly raises!

So I'm going to look into other company's like google, we'll see how it goes.

Thanks!

5. Dec 14, 2007 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Wow. If they like you, you're hot.

Here's something to consider: if they give you a test, think outside of "thinking outside the box". I was tested at one place, but they weren't interested in my answers, or even how I approached the answers; they were interested in how I approached the test.

6. Dec 14, 2007 #5
    Wow, I guess they really do like creative thinkers! thanks for the tip.

7. Dec 14, 2007 #6

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And for good reason. How you solve a specific problem is not really very important. A whole lot of people can solve problems. It's your attitude towards solving problems that sets you apart...whether you approach it with an excited, inquisitive eye speaks volumes about how you are likely to approach challenges at work.

8. Dec 14, 2007 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Or with an eye to one of the most important skills of a developer: prioritizing.

9. Dec 14, 2007 #8
    My brother applied to sales recently. He said the one weird question they asked him was "what kinds of questions do you hate hearing in interviews?"

I don't know if they'd ask you the same stuff in software engineering, but given what others said, you'll probably see the second order, think outside thinking outside the box stuff everywhere.

10. Dec 15, 2007 #9
  11. Dec 15, 2007 #10
    yikes!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?