Anyone have experience with gas turbine blade stress analysis?

In summary: A similar analysis for a small fan blade on a jet engine will give a deflection of a few millimeters. So the answer to your question is that it is worth it to investigate the aerodynamic forces on the blade, but the results are not going to be very practical.In summary, the aerodynamic forces on the blade are small, but worth investigating.
AeroStudent
I'm doing a survey on the topic of "gas turbine blades stress analysis" to see what areas are not focused on in this subject.

I've found that not many people talk about the aerodynamic forces on the blade. Am I missing something, are they included in the calculation or are they too small to consider? Is it worth it to investigate this area?

And does anyone have good resources to study in this area (papers, journals, books,...etc.) , I'm especially interested in the subject of the forces on the blade and how they are distributed.

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
AeroStudent said:
I've found that not many people talk about the aerodynamic forces on the blade. Am I missing something, are they included in the calculation or are they too small to consider? Is it worth it to investigate this area?
The answer depends on whether you are talking about the rotor or stator blades.

For the rotors, compare the centripetal forces on a typical blade with the aerodynamic forces, and the answer should be fairly obvious. Of course there are no centripetal forces of the stators (often called "guide vanes").

Sorry should have specified that I'm talking about rotor blades .

well that's the thing i couldn't find any paper or source that specifies the aerodynamic forces , i know they are very small compared to other stresses but my question is by how much and is it worth it to look into them.

It is not just a question of how big the forces are. You also need to consider the change in stiffness of the blade caused by the internal stresses (similar to stretching a guitar string) and the fact that the centripetal forces change as the blade changes shape (because the ##r## in ##mr\omega^2## changes).

If you model a fan blade on a large jet engine as a cantilever beam, and do a linear analysis applying the gas loads as a distributed load along the length of the beam, you will probably get a deflection of the blade tip of the order of 0.5 meters. That is obviously nonsense compared with what happens in real life, and shows how important the nonlinear behavior is.

1. What is gas turbine blade stress analysis?

Gas turbine blade stress analysis is the process of evaluating the mechanical stresses and strains on the blades of a gas turbine. This is important because excessive stress on the blades can lead to failure and potentially catastrophic damage to the turbine.

2. Why is gas turbine blade stress analysis important?

Gas turbine blade stress analysis is crucial for ensuring the safe and efficient operation of gas turbines. By identifying areas of high stress, engineers can make design improvements to increase the lifespan of the turbine and prevent unexpected failures.

3. What factors influence gas turbine blade stress?

There are several factors that can contribute to gas turbine blade stress, including the design of the blades, the operating conditions of the turbine, and any external forces such as wind or vibrations. Additionally, the materials used to manufacture the blades and their composition can also play a role in the stress levels.

4. How is gas turbine blade stress analysis performed?

There are various methods for conducting gas turbine blade stress analysis, including finite element analysis, which uses computer simulations to model the stresses on the blades. Physical testing can also be done on prototype blades to measure stress levels under different operating conditions.

5. What are some common challenges in gas turbine blade stress analysis?

One of the main challenges in gas turbine blade stress analysis is accurately predicting the stresses on the blades in real-world conditions. This is due to the complex nature of gas turbine operation and the various factors that can impact stress levels. Additionally, obtaining accurate data for the material properties of the blades can also be a challenge.