Anyone here ever been fired from a job?

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job
In summary: They were out of business within 2 years.Yep, It's a long story, but basicly I got on the wrong side of the owner.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Anyone here ever been fired from a job? What for?

Just curious.

Me: yes, when I was a teen. For insubordination.

Physics news on Phys.org

lisab said:
Anyone here ever been fired from a job? What for?

Just curious.

Me: yes, when I was a teen. For insubordination.

My co-worker (a college kid). It was general labor and he found a good place to hide. He would sleep there every day for like an hour or so. But was caught shortly.

I know another person who hacked computer system because his boss asked him to do something but forgot to give him all the material. So, instead of asking his boss he just hacked the system.

Twice.
I lost a job when a contract ran out. I had another job in line before that one ended. Later I was layed off in a RIF. It took me 3 months to land the next job after that. Since starting as a software engineer 26 years ago, I have had 6 jobs. Everytime I quit or was let go, I went to a better paying job.

One time only when i was MUCH younger for getting in a fight.

wolram said:
One time only when i was MUCH younger for getting in a fight.

:rofl: With the boss, or the boss's son?

Once. I worked at a Mini Golf / Lazertag / Arcade / Go kart place. I would pocket the tickets and sell them outside of the park. When I was behind the prize counter, I would give out big prizes to friends and free stuff to cute girls. When I was in the arcade, I would open the coin return and give max. credits to my friends. In the Virtual Reality ride, I would bust *** just as I finished checking the last seatbelt so they would all sit in my gas during the entire ride and blame each other. I was fired for the ticket selling.

jimmysnyder said:
Twice.
I lost a job when a contract ran out. I had another job in line before that one ended. Later I was layed off in a RIF. It took me 3 months to land the next job after that. Since starting as a software engineer 26 years ago, I have had 6 jobs. Everytime I quit or was let go, I went to a better paying job.

Lay-offs aren't the same as firings. Never been fired or laid off, though.

Moonbear said:
Lay-offs aren't the same as firings.
Felt the same.

lisab said:
:rofl: With the boss, or the boss's son?

I forgot the one with the boss junior so that makes 2, but that one does not count as it was a holliday job.

I was once fired for 'working unauthorized hours' when there was a couple of days that I went to work when I wasn't scheduled. The company was having a massive layoff at the same time and used it as an excuse to fire me instead of laying me off.

B. Elliott said:
I was once fired for 'working unauthorized hours' when there was a couple of days that I went to work when I wasn't scheduled. The company was having a massive layoff at the same time and used it as an excuse to fire me instead of laying me off.

Didnt you get the TPS report?

Cyrus said:
Didnt you get the TPS report?

I got away with the Swingline!

jimmysnyder said:
Felt the same.
Really? A lay-off isn't your fault and is likely due to circumstances beyond even your employer's control. Surely, that softens the blow compared to being told you're persona non grata.

DaveC426913 said:
Really? A lay-off isn't your fault and is likely due to circumstances beyond even your employer's control. Surely, that softens the blow compared to being told you're persona non grata.

Hmm...I always thought getting fired would feel better. At least then you know you deserved what you got, and had a chance to either have some fun or tell off your boss or some such before getting canned. :biggrin:

Myself and another co-worker (both college students) got laid off because we just couldn't put in enough hours. I'm sure I could have been fired though, after 2.5 years, my production was definitely slipping.

Yep, It's a long story, but basicly I got on the wrong side of the owner. It took him a year but he managed to write me up 3 times, thus was able to fire me with cause.

B. Elliott said:
I got away with the Swingline!

Excuse me... I believe you have my stapler.

I've never actually been written up. Most people consider it a miracle since one time I was late for every shift (by half an hour or more) for an entire year. I just started the job again yesterday and was also late half an hour.

Does working for a company that got fired count? A previously employer of mine did long-term research-level work on contract. A VP at that company got the top person of the contracting agency extremely POed, and she did this just a month or two before contract renewal. The top dog stopped the renewal process in its tracks and declared every task performed by that company to be non-essential.

Managers who wanted to keep such a task going had to argue why the task was essential and do so three or so levels up the management chain. Managers who wanted to keep such a task going and have the same people continue the work (presumably with another contractor) had to make their case before the big dog himself (five+ layers up the chain). A small handful of the 80 or so people at that company kept their jobs. It took some of the people who worked with that company a long, long time to find another job.

Last edited:

yup, got fired too...for stupidity

I got fired from my first job as a busboy because I just wasn't any good. Officially, the manager changed me to "on-call", but I didn't have any illusions about actually getting called in.

Part of it was the manager's fault. I only worked part-time and only during the busiest period. I never really had a chance to get the hang of things in a non-stressful environment. I was pretty bad. I couldn't keep up. In trying to keep up, things like the salt and pepper shakers and tips would disappear from the tables. The salt and pepper shakers would accumulate next to the dishwasher, but the waitresses started getting pretty irate about getting stiffed on so many tables.

I made a big mistake in my final talk with the manager. He asked me if I thought I could do the dishwasher job and I felt awkward about saying, "Yeah, I'll take his job and you can fire him." The dishwasher was always sticking up for me, after all. Both of us wound up losing our jobs. I may have been horrible as a busboy, but the dishwasher was nearly as bad and the manager had a feeling the tips were winding up taking the same route as the salt and pepper shakers, except only taking a one-way trip.

I also got fired as a door-to-door encyclopedia salesman. I wasn't sorry about that one. After working three weeks on commission without a single sale to get any commissions on, I was kind of reaching the point where I needed a paycheck.

I was once hired on at a veterinary hospital with no experience or training and was to be trained on the job. They placed me in what essentially amounted to the emergency room which was the busiest and most intense work area in the hospital and I was working a ten hour shift with no breaks. So I pretty much had what ever random person who needed help with something training me and every single one of them gave me different instructions on what to do and how to do it so I never really caught on. Between that and my inability to keep up with the pace (because I had no idea what I was doing) I was eventually let go. The manager was rather nice about it though and told me that I could use him as a reference.

I was "fired" from the job shortly after leaving it and moving to US for grad school. It took them two months to figure out I wasn't actually there... (things are different now, though)

DaveC426913 said:

That is bull, my dad was, "layed-off" and before he was, he had to teach a young kid how to do his work. In the end, he was, "layed-off," and a whole buch of younger, lower paid people took his and his co-worker' place.

So it IS the employers fault.

I worked at a detective agency. I was fired because I didn't have a clue.
I worked at an orange juice company. I was fired because I couldn't concentrate.
I worked at a watch manufacturer. I was fired for making faces.
I worked at a gymnasium. I was fired for exercising poor judgement.
I worked as a musician. I was fired for tooting my own horn.
I worked as a limbo rocker. I was fired for raising the bar.
I worked as QC for a bed manufacturer. I was fired for lying down on the job.
I worked as an accountant for a circus. I was fired for juggling the books.
I worked as a boxer. I was fired for too much fighting.
I worked at a tin mine. I was canned.
I worked as a trapeze artist. I was let go.
I worked at a ceramics studio. I was fired. And they went to China.
I worked for a lingerie manufacturer. They gave me the pink slip.
I worked as a magician. The job disappeared.
I worked as a lumberjack. They gave me the ax.
I worked at a bag manufacturer. I was sacked.
I worked as a cashier. I was cashiered.
I worked at a fence manufacturer. They gave me the gate.
I worked at running a paper. They gave me my walking papers.
I worked at a window manufacturer. They showed me the door.
OK, OK, I quit.

Last edited:

jimmysnyder said:
I worked at a detective agency. I was fired because I didn't have a clue.
I worked at an orange juice company. I was fired because I couldn't concentrate.
I worked at a watch manufacturer. I was fired for making faces.
I worked at a gymnasium. I was fired for exercising poor judgement.
I worked as a musician. I was fired for tooting my own horn.
I worked as a limbo rocker. I was fired for raising the bar.
I worked as QC for a bed manufacturer. I was fired for lying down on the job.
I worked as an accountant for a circus. I was fired for juggling the books.
I worked as a boxer. I was fired for too much fighting.
I worked at a tin mine. I was canned.
I worked as a trapeze artist. I was let go.
I worked at a ceramics studio. I was fired. And they went to China.
I worked for a lingerie manufacturer. They gave me the pink slip.
I worked as a magician. The job disappeared.
I worked as a lumberjack. They gave me the ax.
I worked at a bag manufacturer. I was sacked.
I worked at a fence manufacturer. They gave me the gate.
I worked at running a paper. They gave me my walking papers.
I worked at a window manufacturer. They showed me the door.
OK, OK, I quit.

Good thing you didn't work at Weight Watchers or you might have gotten downsized? Or for a hit man and be eliminated from the work force.

But maybe if you worked in a NASCAR pit crew you could have happily just retired?

LowlyPion said:
Good thing you didn't work at Weight Watchers or you might have gotten downsized? Or for a hit man and be eliminated from the work force.

But maybe if you worked in a NASCAR pit crew you could have happily just retired?
Forced to take early retirement. I am stealing all of these.

Last edited:

~christina~ said:
That is bull, my dad was, "layed-off" and before he was, he had to teach a young kid how to do his work. In the end, he was, "layed-off," and a whole buch of younger, lower paid people took his and his co-worker' place.

So it IS the employers fault.

As you already know (because you put quotes around it), that was not a lay-off. That was a crime.

jimmysnyder said:
Cashiered? :confused:

DaveC426913 said:
Cashiered? :confused:
cashier - verb - to dismiss with dishonour from the armed forces [Latin quassare to quash]
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cashiered" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Ah.
10 Chars

I worked in a latrine. I was freed from my duties.

jimmysnyder said:
I worked in a latrine. I was freed from my duties.

At least you didn't work for a chicken farmer and get layed-off.
Or for that matter a trash compactor company and get squeezed out of your position.
Or a mathematician and get rounded off.
Or a divorce lawyer and get separated from your employment.
Or an arms dealer and get surplussed.
Or a pimp ...

Last edited:

1. What are common reasons for being fired from a job?

There are many reasons why someone may be fired from a job, including poor performance, misconduct, violation of company policies, and downsizing or budget cuts.

2. How do employers typically handle firing an employee?

Employers usually have a specific protocol for firing an employee, which may include a meeting with the employee to discuss the reasons for termination and providing a written notice or termination letter. Some companies may also require a formal review process or documentation before firing an employee.

3. Can an employee be fired without a reason?

In most cases, yes. Many employment contracts are at-will, meaning that either the employer or the employee can terminate the employment at any time and for any reason, as long as it is not discriminatory or illegal.

4. How does being fired from a job affect future employment opportunities?

Being fired from a job can have a negative impact on future employment opportunities, as it may be seen as a red flag to potential employers. However, it is important for the employee to be honest and professional about the circumstances of their termination and to highlight their skills and qualifications in their job search.

5. Can an employee take legal action if they feel they were wrongfully fired?

Yes, an employee can take legal action if they believe they were wrongfully fired. This may include filing a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) or pursuing a lawsuit for wrongful termination. However, it is important for the employee to gather evidence and consult with a lawyer before taking any legal action.