Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone here ever been fired from a job?

1. Aug 6, 2008 #1

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Anyone here ever been fired from a job? What for?

Just curious.

Me: yes, when I was a teen. For insubordination.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2008 #2
    Re: Fired?

My co-worker (a college kid). It was general labor and he found a good place to hide. He would sleep there every day for like an hour or so. But was caught shortly.

I know another person who hacked computer system because his boss asked him to do something but forgot to give him all the material. So, instead of asking his boss he just hacked the system.

4. Aug 6, 2008 #3

Twice.
    I lost a job when a contract ran out. I had another job in line before that one ended. Later I was layed off in a RIF. It took me 3 months to land the next job after that. Since starting as a software engineer 26 years ago, I have had 6 jobs. Everytime I quit or was let go, I went to a better paying job.

5. Aug 6, 2008 #4

wolram

Gold Member

One time only when i was MUCH younger for getting in a fight.

6. Aug 6, 2008 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: With the boss, or the boss's son?

7. Aug 6, 2008 #6

RunSwimSurf

Gold Member

Once. I worked at a Mini Golf / Lazertag / Arcade / Go kart place. I would pocket the tickets and sell them outside of the park. When I was behind the prize counter, I would give out big prizes to friends and free stuff to cute girls. When I was in the arcade, I would open the coin return and give max. credits to my friends. In the Virtual Reality ride, I would bust *** just as I finished checking the last seatbelt so they would all sit in my gas during the entire ride and blame each other. I was fired for the ticket selling.

8. Aug 6, 2008 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Lay-offs aren't the same as firings. Never been fired or laid off, though.

9. Aug 6, 2008 #8

Felt the same.

10. Aug 6, 2008 #9

wolram

Gold Member

I forgot the one with the boss junior so that makes 2, but that one does not count as it was a holliday job.

11. Aug 6, 2008 #10

I was once fired for 'working unauthorized hours' when there was a couple of days that I went to work when I wasn't scheduled. The company was having a massive layoff at the same time and used it as an excuse to fire me instead of laying me off.

12. Aug 6, 2008 #11

Didnt you get the TPS report?

13. Aug 6, 2008 #12

I got away with the Swingline!

14. Aug 6, 2008 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Really? A lay-off isn't your fault and is likely due to circumstances beyond even your employer's control. Surely, that softens the blow compared to being told you're persona non grata.

15. Aug 6, 2008 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm...I always thought getting fired would feel better. At least then you know you deserved what you got, and had a chance to either have some fun or tell off your boss or some such before getting canned. :biggrin:

16. Aug 6, 2008 #15

Myself and another co-worker (both college students) got laid off because we just couldn't put in enough hours. I'm sure I could have been fired though, after 2.5 years, my production was definitely slipping.

17. Aug 6, 2008 #16

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, It's a long story, but basicly I got on the wrong side of the owner. It took him a year but he managed to write me up 3 times, thus was able to fire me with cause.

18. Aug 7, 2008 #17

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Excuse me... I believe you have my stapler.

19. Aug 7, 2008 #18

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I've never actually been written up. Most people consider it a miracle since one time I was late for every shift (by half an hour or more) for an entire year. I just started the job again yesterday and was also late half an hour.

20. Aug 7, 2008 #19

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Does working for a company that got fired count? A previously employer of mine did long-term research-level work on contract. A VP at that company got the top person of the contracting agency extremely POed, and she did this just a month or two before contract renewal. The top dog stopped the renewal process in its tracks and declared every task performed by that company to be non-essential.

Managers who wanted to keep such a task going had to argue why the task was essential and do so three or so levels up the management chain. Managers who wanted to keep such a task going and have the same people continue the work (presumably with another contractor) had to make their case before the big dog himself (five+ layers up the chain). A small handful of the 80 or so people at that company kept their jobs. It took some of the people who worked with that company a long, long time to find another job.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  21. Aug 7, 2008 #20

yup, got fired too...for stupidity

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?