Anyone here ever visited eharmony?

• Thread starter Danger
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of using eharmony, a dating website, after a man's recent split from his partner. The man shares his experience with filling out a questionnaire and being asked to attest he has no criminal record, which he does. Other users suggest lying on the questionnaire or trying other dating websites. The conversation also touches on the age demographics and preferences for potential partners.

russ_watters said:
I don't know when you joined, but I joined longer ago than I like to admit - 4 years at least, and I don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Maybe your conservative and don't really see it.

Physics news on Phys.org

My new-age/telepathy/extra sensory perception/ crystal power/ psychic believing neighbor is on there. I don't think she's a Christian though.

NeoDevin said:
The problem would be if he meets someone from there, and then they find out about his record and make a complaint. Then he's in trouble for fraud.

Whoopee!

Who cares?

You are way too PC my friend. Chill...:smile:

Ghost803 said:
My new-age/telepathy/extra sensory perception/ crystal power/ psychic believing neighbor is on there. I don't think she's a Christian though.

Same difference. If someone believes in something that doesn't exist, it doesn't matter whether it's black magic, god, voodoo, or the Easter bunny. Delusions know no bounds.

Evo said:
You would be surprised who is there.

I am surprised, I have just learned Evo is there

As a matter of fact, I have my first first date in 30 years tonight. If I don't pass out at the door when I pick her up, I think this will be fun.

I didn't use any of those on-line services, though. I found my date the old fashion way. I just hit on the best looking NASA engineer that took my classes.

BobG said:
As a matter of fact, I have my first first date in 30 years tonight. If I don't pass out at the door when I pick her up, I think this will be fun.

I didn't use any of those on-line services, though. I found my date the old fashion way. I just hit on the best looking NASA engineer that took my classes.
YAY Bob!

We expect to hear all about it tomorrow!

Evo said:

A gentleman never tells.

Hey, Bob;
After seeing the pic of you and your grandson, and reading your posts, I just always assumed that you were married. Best wishes for you having a great time on your date.

BobG said:

Have fun!

Sounds like you're gonig about it the right way. Look for the best. :P

Danger said:
Naw... I can't do that. I can't even lie to you guys (aside from obvious jokes), so I sure can't to someone that I want to spend my life with.

You could lie on the check box, and then put a note about it in your profile. That way you're not lying to anybody except the check box.

junglebeast said:
You could lie on the check box, and then put a note about it in your profile. That way you're not lying to anybody except the check box.

You'd get banned within a day. The messages are scanned everyday, especially those of new members.

Evo said:
YAY Bob!

It went well enough to get invited for a home cooked meal.

BobG said:
That's the Gold Standard, Bob. Now you get to find out if she can cook - big step, IMO.

JasonRox said:
Maybe your conservative and don't really see it.
I am conservative, but I'm not very religious, so I think my taste in women wouln't fit well with a Christian-targeted site. To put a finer point on it, I specifically avoid matches who discuss their faith in their profile. There is a section on "things I can't live without" and if I see:

1. My cell phone
2. HDTV
3. Red wine
4. My rotweiler
5. My faith in God

...#5 is a dealbreaker to me. Maybe #4 too.

Evo, I don't know what exactly the questions were that you were offended by, but these sites are intended to ask probing, personal questions. That's necessary for compatibility and since religion is an important aspect of many people's lives, any good match site must ask personal/probing questions about your religious faith, or lack thereof. The only site that could legitimately completely avoid the subject would have to be called "A-date".

I'm sure a hardcore christian virgin is probably put-off by all the questions about sexual proclivities/styles too. But the questions still need to be asked.

Last edited:

Ghost803 said:
My new-age/telepathy/extra sensory perception/ crystal power/ psychic believing neighbor is on there.
I went out with one of those from eHarmony. After the dinner conversation turned to ghosts, I decided I didn't need to see her again*, though when I called her later, she said she realized we weren't very compatible but still wanted to see me again!

*the smoking didn't help either...

BobG said:
Nice. Congrats!

russ_watters said:
I am conservative, but I'm not very religious, so I think my taste in women wouln't fit well with a Christian-targeted site. To put a finer point on it, I specifically avoid matches who discuss their faith in their profile. There is a section on "things I can't live without" and if I see:

1. My cell phone
2. HDTV
3. Red wine
4. My rotweiler
5. My faith in God

...#5 is a dealbreaker to me. Maybe #4 too..

I was going to invite you over to have some red wine and watch a Billy Graham special on HDTV - just you, me, and my Rottweiler.
Call me on my cell phone if you're interested. I always have my cell phone with me. Always.

BobG said:

Good job, Bob!

russ_watters said:

1. My cell phone
2. HDTV
3. Red wine
4. My rotweiler
5. My faith in God

...#5 is a dealbreaker to me. Maybe #4 too.

Evo, I don't know what exactly the questions were that you were offended by, but these sites are intended to ask probing, personal questions. That's necessary for compatibility and since religion is an important aspect of many people's lives, any good match site must ask personal/probing questions about your religious faith, or lack thereof. The only site that could legitimately completely avoid the subject would have to be called "A-date".

I'm sure a hardcore christian virgin is probably put-off by all the questions about sexual proclivities/styles too. But the questions still need to be asked.

Good point.

russ_watters said:
Evo, I don't know what exactly the questions were that you were offended by, but these sites are intended to ask probing, personal questions.
I wasn't offended, I was appalled. No way am I going to give ANY website that much information about me. I don't want some website *matching* me up with someone based on how it judges answers I give either. So e-harmony is definitely not my kind of place.

All I want is a place where I can read what a person says, and then *I* will make the decision of whether I find them interesting enough to contact them. In the natural course of speaking with the person, I can then ask questions that really have meaning to me and judge how that person responds. I can't believe that people are allowing computers to make those initial assessments of who they even get to select from.

Evo said:
I wasn't offended, I was appalled. No way am I going to give ANY website that much information about me. I don't want some website *matching* me up with someone based on how it judges answers I give either. So e-harmony is definitely not my kind of place.

All I want is a place where I can read what a person says, and then *I* will make the decision of whether I find them interesting enough to contact them. In the natural course of speaking with the person, I can then ask questions that really have meaning to me and judge how that person responds. I can't believe that people are allowing computers to make those initial assessments of who they even get to select from.

But you knew eHarmony is a matchmaking site, how do you suppose they do this without asking personal questions?

JasonRox said:
But you knew eHarmony is a matchmaking site, how do you suppose they do this without asking personal questions?
I had belonged to match.com, which asked no questions, so it wasn't until I was slogging through e-harmony's "free trial" that I realized it was not something I was interested in. But even though I didn't finish the questions and never even submited my answers, I started getting barraged by men they had started e-mailing with my uncompleted answers!

Math Is Hard said:
I was going to invite you over to have some red wine and watch a Billy Graham special on HDTV - just you, me, and my Rottweiler.
Call me on my cell phone if you're interested. I always have my cell phone with me. Always.
Sorry, babe, I'd just end up hurting you.

[edit]...um...you do keep him on a leash, right?

Last edited:

Evo said:
[separate post]
I had belonged to match.com, which asked no questions, so it wasn't until I was slogging through e-harmony's "free trial" that I realized it was not something I was interested in.
Ok, well that's a different issue then and it really doesn't have anything to do with religion. You just aren't into the concept of personality profile based matching. Match.com has a much less rigorous matchmaking process and the "matches" aren't much more than just general demographic matches. I didn't like the style or the communication process for that matter (though it worked for my sister). I'm a little surprised you didn't realize the rigor of eharmony's process before you started into it - it's their primary marketing point. eHarmony's matching process may the most involved/personal/rigorous of any of the major dating sites online. That appealed to me.

We had something similar in high school - every year they had this thing (not even sure why - maybe it was fundrasing) where they did computerized personality profile based matching and quite a lot of people did it. It was more for fun, though - I don't know of anyone who asked out one of their matches.
But even though I didn't finish the questions and never even submited my answers, I started getting barraged by men they had started e-mailing with my uncompleted answers!
Well obviously you did submit something, otherwise they would have had nothing to go on to start forming the matches. The first page is generally a demographics page, and once you hit "next", that's "submitting" it. Anyway, There are certain profile questions I left blank because I couldn't think of good answers for. They encourage finishing the profile, but still make matches after you start. It is probably in their instructions/terms of service when you first start.

russ_watters said:
I'm sure a hardcore christian virgin is probably put-off by all the questions about sexual proclivities/styles too.

Hey! They never asked me about any of that stuff. :grumpy:
I might have created a monster with this thread, but I just realized the perfect solution. Evo, move to Alberta and marry me.

Danger said:
Hey! They never asked me about any of that stuff. :grumpy:
I might have created a monster with this thread, but I just realized the perfect solution. Evo, move to Alberta and marry me.

Seconded. ;-)

Wow! What a coincidence. I was about to edit my last post before I saw that you had responded. The edit was to say that Stats should be my best man. We can shoot some pool and have some beers for my stag.

I love weddings. I suggest you hire the wedding planner from the movie "Father of the Bride." I am beginning to understand him after using IM.

Lacy33 said:
I love weddings. I suggest you hire the wedding planner from the movie "Father of the Bride." I am beginning to understand him after using IM.

There's a sure fire way to get them to alope. I don't think either would like a big wedding.
I suggest you look at cakes and I will audition strippers for the batchelor party. ;-p

Edit: I need to rewatch that last episode of House.

OK, I will get a cake together but since they are eloping, the cake would be for you guys and the strippers? Yeah!?
We better go PM for dimensions on that the cake. :)

Lacy33 said:
OK, I will get a cake together but since they are eloping, the cake would be for you guys and the strippers? Yeah!?
We better go PM for dimensions on that the cake. :)

Lots of whipped cream on that one!
I just like planning Evo's wedding while she sleeps, I'd like to see her face when she wakes up with an appointment for a dress fitting. ;-)

Evo looks to be very tiny. She can probably buy off the rack in a hurry.
My trepidation comes from doing all this while "Danger" is sleeping!

Lacy33 said:
Evo looks to be very tiny. She can probably buy off the rack in a hurry.

Lo! to plan the future while Danger sleeps!
Lovely line. ;-)

Lacy33 said:

Where ever did you get the idea that I sleep? :devil: