Anyone here ever visited eharmony?

• Thread starter Danger
  • Start date
Evo
Mentor

It's still a great free site for social networking if you're looking for someone. I have actually met some incredible scientists there. You would be surprised who is there. I know a lot of professors that are there, but hide their identity so their students don't recognize them.

russ_watters
Mentor

E-Harmony is a Christian dating service, I don't think it's your cup of tea. Although after some lawsuits, they don't push the fact that that was how it originated. If they didn't think you met their moral values, they would turn people down.
I've been a member of eHarmony for several years, and had some success. In any case, though, I wouldn't have known it is "a christian dating service". There are members there from all religions and no religion and you tell them how important it is to you. I've dated catholics, protestants, jews and athiests from there.

Just because it was founded by a Christian, that doesn't automatically make it a "christian dating service". It isn't C-date.

Last edited:
Danger
Gold Member

Thanks for that clarification, Russ. Evo, you scared the living **** out of me with your post! The last thing in the world that I would want is to have a bunch of bloody Christians in possession of my personal information. The fact that is was founded by a Christian, though, is enough to keep me far away from it.
Anyhow, I need someone within 50 km or so of here.

turbo
Gold Member

Anyhow, I need someone within 50 km or so of here.
Personal notices could work, but the best tactic is to cozy up to women that you already know. Women have match-maker networks that you know nothing about. Years back, I had women hitting on me out of nowhere because some young ladies that I knew saw me playing music in public venues, and if my wife wasn't there, they predicted a split. Wrong! Just be vigilant. You don't want some "any port in a storm" relationship that will drain you for years later.

:eek:
The diametrical opposite of that would be what I want. My dream girl, were she not fictional, would be Pauley Perrette's character of Abby on NCIS. Brains and Goth... gotta love it. (Okay, Pauley is 40, but I'm pretty sure that Abby is supposed to be a lot younger.)
I was joking... mostly. I just get the impression that is sort of the primary type of person in your age group that they attract.

I knew I had a pic of Pauley Perrette, and I was going to share, but I forgot that she isn't decent for PF in it. :-/

Danger
Gold Member

I knew I had a pic of Pauley Perrette, and I was going to share, but I forgot that she isn't decent for PF in it. :-/
I knew that your were kidding, Stats. No worries. Feel free to PM or email me the pix. Yeah, she has some nice ones out there. Weird thing, though, is that I prefer her as Abby rather than as herself. Same way as Jolene Blalock just doesn't look as good without short hair and pointed ears.

Evo
Mentor

I've been a member of eHarmony for several years, and had some success. In any case, though, I wouldn't have known it is "a christian dating service". There are members there from all religions and no religion and you tell them how important it is to you. I've dated catholics, protestants, jews and athiests from there.

Just because it was founded by a Christian, that doesn't automatically make it a "christian dating service". It isn't C-date.
Their screening process was very strict in the beginning. I was scared off by the fact that even before I completed their *application* they sent my information off to members, and I had already decided this was not a place I wanted to be and didn't even finish. The questions they were asking were all going in a direction I didn't like. I was appalled that they had the gall to do such a thing and I let them know.

Of course people join that just see the advertisements, and I certainly am not judging the people that join.

I just know it's not a place for Danger.

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Their screening process was very strict in the beginning. I was scared off by the fact that even before I completed their *application* they sent my information off to members, and I had already decided this was not a place I wanted to be and didn't even finish. The questions they were asking were all going in a direction I didn't like. I was appalled that they had the gall to do such a thing and I let them know.

Of course people join that just see the advertisements, and I certainly am not judging the people that join.

I did it not too long ago and I found the questions very Christan based for sure.

I don't think the lawsuits are well-deserved though. I don't support religion, but I do support providing a service to a particular group. I don't see what's wrong with that.

russ_watters
Mentor

I don't know when you joined, but I joined longer ago than I like to admit - 4 years at least, and I don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Evo
Mentor

I don't know when you joined, but I joined longer ago than I like to admit - 4 years at least, and I don't have a clue what you are talking about.
I was answering questions and they were getting creepy, so I decided not to hit the "I agree" button, I chose not to continue. The next thing I knew, I was being bombarded with e-mail's from members that had already been forwarded my incomplete and unauthorized profile. I posted on here about it, I was very upset. I did NOT agree to their terms and I did NOT agree to join, and I was violated by what they did. I contacted their office and told them they did NOT have my approval to send anything to anyone on their site and to cease and desist immediately. A number of people said that the same violations had been commited with their incompleted applications.

Some idiot employee apparently thought that if they sent the information around of someone that had NOT signed up and showed them that people were interested, that they could suck that person into joining. Except, I did not agree to release that information and that was illegal. I pointed that out to them.

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Maybe your conservative and don't really see it.

My new-age/telepathy/extra sensory perception/ crystal power/ psychic believing neighbor is on there. I don't think shes a Christian though.

The problem would be if he meets someone from there, and then they find out about his record and make a complaint. Then he's in trouble for fraud.
Whoopee!

Who cares?

You are way too PC my friend. Chill...:smile:

Danger
Gold Member

My new-age/telepathy/extra sensory perception/ crystal power/ psychic believing neighbor is on there. I don't think shes a Christian though.
Same difference. If someone believes in something that doesn't exist, it doesn't matter whether it's black magic, god, voodoo, or the Easter bunny. Delusions know no bounds.

Borek
Mentor

You would be surprised who is there.
I am surprised, I have just learnt Evo is there :surprised

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

As a matter of fact, I have my first first date in 30 years tonight. If I don't pass out at the door when I pick her up, I think this will be fun.

I didn't use any of those on-line services, though. I found my date the old fashion way. I just hit on the best looking NASA engineer that took my classes.

Evo
Mentor

As a matter of fact, I have my first first date in 30 years tonight. If I don't pass out at the door when I pick her up, I think this will be fun.

I didn't use any of those on-line services, though. I found my date the old fashion way. I just hit on the best looking NASA engineer that took my classes.
YAY Bob!!!

We expect to hear all about it tomorrow!!!!

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award

A gentleman never tells.

Danger
Gold Member

Hey, Bob;
After seeing the pic of you and your grandson, and reading your posts, I just always assumed that you were married. Best wishes for you having a great time on your date.

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Have fun!

Sounds like you're gonig about it the right way. Look for the best. :P

Naw... I can't do that. I can't even lie to you guys (aside from obvious jokes), so I sure can't to someone that I want to spend my life with.
You could lie on the check box, and then put a note about it in your profile. That way you're not lying to anybody except the check box.

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member

You could lie on the check box, and then put a note about it in your profile. That way you're not lying to anybody except the check box.
You'd get banned within a day. The messages are scanned everyday, especially those of new members.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

YAY Bob!!!

It went well enough to get invited for a home cooked meal.

turbo
Gold Member

It went well enough to get invited for a home cooked meal.
That's the Gold Standard, Bob. Now you get to find out if she can cook - big step, IMO.

russ_watters
Mentor

Maybe your conservative and don't really see it.
I am conservative, but I'm not very religious, so I think my taste in women wouln't fit well with a Christian-targeted site. To put a finer point on it, I specifically avoid matches who discuss their faith in their profile. There is a section on "things I can't live without" and if I see:

1. My cell phone
2. HDTV
3. Red wine
4. My rotweiler
5. My faith in God

....#5 is a dealbreaker to me. Maybe #4 too.

Evo, I don't know what exactly the questions were that you were offended by, but these sites are intended to ask probing, personal questions. That's necessary for compatibility and since religion is an important aspect of many people's lives, any good match site must ask personal/probing questions about your religious faith, or lack thereof. The only site that could legitimately completely avoid the subject would have to be called "A-date".

I'm sure a hardcore christian virgin is probably put-off by all the questions about sexual proclivities/styles too. But the questions still need to be asked.

Last edited: