Anyone here ever visited eharmony?

• Thread starter Danger
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of using eharmony, a dating website, after a man's recent split from his partner. The man shares his experience with filling out a questionnaire and being asked to attest he has no criminal record, which he does. Other users suggest lying on the questionnaire or trying other dating websites. The conversation also touches on the age demographics and preferences for potential partners.

I met my now husband, in a chat room linked to a animal rescue group. We had a lot of things in common, and after several months of chatting we went on a date. Six months later we moved in together, and a year after that we got married. This July will be our 5th anniversary.

Physics news on Phys.org

hypatia said:
I met my now husband, in a chat room linked to a animal rescue group. We had a lot of things in common, and after several months of chatting we went on a date. Six months later we moved in together, and a year after that we got married. This July will be our 5th anniversary.
I guess we need to get PF chat up and running again. :biggrin:

Or Greg could start a parallel dating site for PF type folks.

Astronuc said:
I guess we need to get PF chat up and running again. :biggrin:
That would be nice.

Astronuc said:
Or Greg could start a parallel dating site for PF type folks.
Yeah, Greg's "grab-a-geek" dating service. :approve:

Oy. The "Grab-a-Geek" suggestion makes me think of this ad I've seen a few times in Scientific American for "http://www.sciconnect.com/" ":
ratsw.gif

Attachments

• ratsw.gif
    ratsw.gif
    768 bytes · Views: 348
Last edited by a moderator:

physics girl phd said:
Oy. The "Grab-a-Geek" suggestion makes me think of this ad I've seen a few times in Scientific American for "http://www.sciconnect.com/" ":
ratsw.gif

I knew someone who was a "regular" there - she was very happy with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm way under-qualified for that club, but I've got to say that they have one of the best logos I've ever seen.

This just keeps getting weirder. Night before last she made me sleep over at her place. She's now insisting that we aren't breaking up. Just because she's moving 500 km away doesn't mean that we aren't a couple any more. She plans to come back every couple of weeks to visit, and wants me to visit her up there as well. (She's actually going to leave the minivan here for me, since the El Camino would scare her neighbours. Even with it, though, that's $200 worth of gas every trip. The Camino would probably take $300.)
I'm going to go along with that, since I really don't want to lose her, but I'm still remaining in my house meanwhile to get it organized and get myself used to being alone most of the time. I can't see that it will be much different than if I were away working the rigs for a month at a time or she were a traveling sales rep.
It might not work out, but it's sure worth a shot.

Danger said:
This just keeps getting weirder. Night before last she made me sleep over at her place. She's now insisting that we aren't breaking up. Just because she's moving 500 km away doesn't mean that we aren't a couple any more. She plans to come back every couple of weeks to visit, and wants me to visit her up there as well. (She's actually going to leave the minivan here for me, since the El Camino would scare her neighbours. Even with it, though, that's $200 worth of gas every trip. The Camino would probably take $300.)
I'm going to go along with that, since I really don't want to lose her, but I'm still remaining in my house meanwhile to get it organized and get myself used to being alone most of the time. I can't see that it will be much different than if I were away working the rigs for a month at a time or she were a traveling sales rep.
It might not work out, but it's sure worth a shot.
Odd situation, but I have seen odder. An old friend of mine divorced and after a few years, she met a guy that she clicked with right away - they met on road-biking trips and they went on a B&B bicycling tour for their honeymoon. They never spent much time discussing their living arrangements, so she still lives in her house with her daughter and he lives in his house, going on at least 5 years or so now. My wife and I never got that separated, but there were many times when we were both working and my rotating shifts didn't line up at all with her day shifts, and other times later when I was gone for a month at a time doing consulting work for pulp and paper mills. When you're flying on your own dime you don't hop back and forth from Maine to the deep south on a whim. Just the travel-time, layovers, and delays would eat up almost the whole weekend anyway.

Good luck, Danger. Hope it all works out.

Danger said:
This just keeps getting weirder.
Real life is better than fiction. Sometimes weirder, too! :biggrin: Anyway, it's more real. :rofl:

Night before last she made me sleep over at her place.
Er, um - she made you?! :uhh:

500km isn't that far compared to some relationships. I'm sure you'll find a way to make it work if you want to.

Astronuc said:
Er, um - she made you?! :uhh:

She begged and whined until I agreed. Seems that she doesn't like living alone either. Details are not for public display, but it paid off for me. :biggrin:

Distance might be good. Seeing and talking to your partner on a daily basis can often be what triggers the fights and fueds.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Seeing and talking to your partner on a daily basis can often be what triggers the fights and fueds.

We actually very seldom had fights, and never a feud. The only scraps were when she was really drunk. (I'm a constantly-drinking alcoholic; she's a binge drinker.) That was prevalent for the first year or so, then I got her onto antidepressants and it's been fine since. The reason for her move is that she wants to be with her kids and grandkids, back in her hometown. They and I share a mutual hatred, so there's no way that I'm going with her. (Her ***** daughter, after meeting me once for 5 minutes, avowed that I'm a 'child pediphile' [sic] with the mind of a 10-year-old. This from a 30-year-old woman who needs a recipe book to make toast, and demands that her mother drive for 12 hours using the aforemetioned $200 of gas to baby-sit for her, rather than shell out the $30 or so for a local sitter. :rolleyes:)

Interesting thread. Seems as if I'm not the only "disfunktional" human being on this planet...

:rofl: