• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Anyone here studies/studied chemistry?

• Thread starter Nikitin
  • Start date
Would you like to share how it is?

I like both math and physics, but chemistry is my favourite. I'm thinking about becoming a chemical engineer but I would also like to see what people who study chemistry think!

danago

Gold Member
Just note that studying chemical engineering will not necessarily involve studying an overly large amount of chemistry. I know it will depend on which university you go to, but most chem eng. courses that i have seen have required that students take some basic courses in organic chem, physical chem etc. but not much beyond that.

In your post you seem to interchange chemistry with chemical engineering, but they are very different--in chemical engineering you will study things like fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, reactor design, control systems, heat and mass transfer, separation technology etc.

Before you make any decisions, you should consider the difference between chemistry and chemical engineering and decide which one it is you really want to do.

Sure do, natural scientist studying chemistry mathematics and physics, (hopefully) graduating this summer.

How old are you? What level of education are you at?

Over the course of my degree I have ended up focussing on physical chemistry, and I really enjoy physical, theoretical and computational chemistry. Whilst I can see how some people are attracted to organic/inorganic chemistry, I found that they are too much about remembering things (reactions, mechanisms, synthetic pathways, blah blah blah) and too little about logic/mathematics, unlike physical chemistry.

I should warn you that I am at university in the UK, but do feel free to ask any questions though.

Whilst I have no direct experience of a chem eng programme, anecdotal evidence suggests that they tend more towards the engineering side than the chemistry side. As danago said, they are very different.

Thanks
Scott

Hi. I am 17. I plan on study Chemical engineering - indeed it is mostly about thermodynamics and the like. But I have possibility to specialize in physical chemistry as a chemical engineer.

Natural scientist? This sounds as an interesting choice of study, but what jobs other than teacher can you get?