1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone here who has studied/is studying software engineering?

1. Apr 2, 2013 #1
    It's what I recently decided to go into. If anyone has any experiences/advice/suggestions to help get into good universities, that'd be great. I love programming and physics, both for the same reason, which is the logic behind it. They both make logical sense. I math, chem, etc as well, I know I'll be taking them, and doing a ton of math. My "dream" university/my goal university is Waterloo. It has the only program in Ontario that gives you a BSE, the rest just give you a BCS or something. So if I don't get into Waterloo, I think it's better to just study computer science at other universities instead of doing a software engineering program that isn't accredited for software engineering.

I wrote the CCC and am registered for the SIN contest.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2013 #2
  4. Jun 23, 2013 #3
    There are a number of good software Engineering programs in Canada (I'm assuming you are Canadian since you said Waterloo). UBC, UofR, I think Calgary has one. There are surely others, but I just know those ones do for sure.

You mention that you are also quite interested in science and math. I would actually recommend you do a degree in Electronics/Electrical Engineering. Software Engineering degrees (at least at my school) don't do very much physics/math at all. And, a degree in EE can still get you a job doing software development quite easily.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook