Anyone here studies/studied chemistry?

• Thread starter Nikitin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the conversation discussed the differences between chemistry and chemical engineering, with the poster expressing their interest in both subjects and considering pursuing chemical engineering with a focus on physical chemistry. They also mentioned their specialization in physical chemistry and their upcoming graduation. The age and education level of the poster was also mentioned. The conversation also touched on the potential job prospects for a natural scientist studying chemistry, with the poster mentioning teaching as a possible career option.
Nikitin
Would you like to share how it is?

I like both math and physics, but chemistry is my favourite. I'm thinking about becoming a chemical engineer but I would also like to see what people who study chemistry think!

Physics news on Phys.org
Just note that studying chemical engineering will not necessarily involve studying an overly large amount of chemistry. I know it will depend on which university you go to, but most chem eng. courses that i have seen have required that students take some basic courses in organic chem, physical chem etc. but not much beyond that.

In your post you seem to interchange chemistry with chemical engineering, but they are very different--in chemical engineering you will study things like fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, reactor design, control systems, heat and mass transfer, separation technology etc.

Before you make any decisions, you should consider the difference between chemistry and chemical engineering and decide which one it is you really want to do.

Sure do, natural scientist studying chemistry mathematics and physics, (hopefully) graduating this summer.

How old are you? What level of education are you at?

Over the course of my degree I have ended up focussing on physical chemistry, and I really enjoy physical, theoretical and computational chemistry. Whilst I can see how some people are attracted to organic/inorganic chemistry, I found that they are too much about remembering things (reactions, mechanisms, synthetic pathways, blah blah blah) and too little about logic/mathematics, unlike physical chemistry.

I should warn you that I am at university in the UK, but do feel free to ask any questions though.

Whilst I have no direct experience of a chem eng programme, anecdotal evidence suggests that they tend more towards the engineering side than the chemistry side. As danago said, they are very different.

Thanks
Scott

Hi. I am 17. I plan on study Chemical engineering - indeed it is mostly about thermodynamics and the like. But I have possibility to specialize in physical chemistry as a chemical engineer.

Natural scientist? This sounds as an interesting choice of study, but what jobs other than teacher can you get?

I can say that chemistry is a fascinating field that involves exploring the properties and behaviors of matter and substances. It requires a strong understanding of math and physics, but also has its own unique concepts and principles.

Chemistry is a diverse subject with many branches, from organic chemistry to analytical chemistry. It allows us to understand the composition of everything around us, from the air we breathe to the food we eat.

As a chemical engineer, you would have the opportunity to apply your knowledge of chemistry to develop new products and processes that benefit society. It is a rewarding and challenging career path that requires a strong foundation in chemistry.

I encourage you to continue exploring your interest in chemistry and speaking with others who have studied it. It is always valuable to hear different perspectives and experiences in any field of study. Best of luck in your academic and career pursuits!

1. What is the difference between organic and inorganic chemistry?

Organic chemistry studies compounds that contain carbon, while inorganic chemistry studies compounds that do not contain carbon. Organic compounds are typically found in living organisms, while inorganic compounds are found in non-living things such as minerals and metals.

2. What are some common laboratory techniques used in chemistry?

Some common laboratory techniques used in chemistry include titration, distillation, chromatography, and spectroscopy. These techniques are used to separate, identify, and analyze different substances in a sample.

3. How does chemistry relate to other scientific fields?

Chemistry is closely related to other scientific fields such as biology, physics, and geology. For example, chemistry is necessary for understanding the chemical reactions that occur in living organisms in biology, and for understanding the properties and behavior of matter in physics.

4. What career opportunities are available for those who study chemistry?

Studying chemistry can lead to a variety of career opportunities, including working in research and development, pharmaceuticals, environmental science, and forensics. Chemists can also work in industries such as food and beverage, cosmetics, and agriculture.

5. How do chemists contribute to solving real-world problems?

Chemists play a crucial role in solving real-world problems by using their knowledge and skills to develop new materials, medicines, and technologies. They also help to identify and mitigate environmental issues, such as pollution and climate change, through research and development of sustainable solutions.