Anyone know about gas/electric oven and stove appliances?

• Thread starter Jurrasic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    oven
In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between gas and electric stoves and their prevalence in households. It is mentioned that gas is generally cheaper and more popular in the UK, but electric stoves offer more control and stability. The age of the building and safety regulations may also play a role in the type of stove installed. Ultimately, personal preference and familiarity with a particular type of stove may be the deciding factor.
Jurrasic
Every time my parents move, our house has a gas stove/oven with gas burners, never electric, do very many houses have electric? What is more common, which is more modern and which is more expensive? Gas vs. Electric ?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Jurrasic! :smile:

In Britain, gas is substantially cheaper than electricity (for the same power). So many people prefer gas central heating and gas cookers.

Here's a neat trick:

next time someone's TV goes wrong, say "oh I know all about TVs, I'll fix it!", then go and stare intelligently at the back of the TV for a bit, and then ask "erm … is this electric or gas?" :biggrin:

A lot of it depends on the area the house is built in and the time the house was built. I know in my area it's been about 50/50 when I looked at places.

Gas heat is really convenient because it heats up faster (almost instantly for stovetops), can get hotter, and can be cheaper depending on prices/where you live.

Jurrasic said:
Every time my parents move, our house has a gas stove/oven with gas burners, never electric, do very many houses have electric? What is more common, which is more modern and which is more expensive? Gas vs. Electric ?

Most modern would be the microwave. :smile:

And btw, for cooking there's now "induction".
This works only with iron pans and is similar to a microwave (magnetic instead of electric).
It heats up about as fast as a gas stove.

Advantage is that there is no open fire, but I prefer a gas stove, because it gives you better feedback about what you're doing (you can see and feel the heat).

In the UK, it also depends on the age of the building. There are more safety regulations about gas installations (for example they must be installed by a registered gas engineer) but you can install your own electric cookers. Therefore gas stoves tend to be more "permanent" than electric, and they can last a very long time without any faults developing (e.g. 30 or 40 years).

On the other hand in modern blocks of flats, gas installations in the individual flats may not be allowed at all for safety reasons, though the central heating system for the whole block of flats will usually use gas rather than electricity.

I prefer a gas stove, because it gives you better feedback about what you're doing (you can see and feel the heat.
That's true, and gas gives you "instant heat", but electric stoves give you more stable control. If I want something to simmier for an hour I know I can put my electric stove on a particular setting depending on the size of the pan and the volume of water, and then forget about it. When I used to cook on gas I would have to check every few minutes if the heat was too high or too low.

I think the "best" one is the one you are most familiar with.

1. How do gas and electric ovens differ in terms of cooking?

Gas ovens use natural gas or propane to heat the oven, while electric ovens use electricity. This difference in fuel type can affect the cooking process and result in different cooking times and temperatures. Gas ovens also tend to have more moisture, which can lead to better browning and crusts, while electric ovens have a drier heat that can be better for baking.

2. Are there any safety concerns with using a gas or electric oven?

Both gas and electric ovens have safety features in place to prevent accidents, such as automatic shut-off valves and temperature controls. However, it is important to regularly check and maintain your oven to ensure it is functioning properly and safely. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for use and never leave your oven unattended while in use.

3. What are the main components of a gas or electric oven?

The main components of a gas oven include the gas supply, igniter, burner, thermostat, and oven racks. Electric ovens have similar components, but instead of a gas supply and igniter, they have an electrical power supply and heating elements. Both types of ovens also have a control panel for setting the temperature and timer.

4. Can I use the same cookware for both gas and electric ovens?

Yes, you can use the same cookware for both gas and electric ovens. However, it is important to consider the type of cookware you are using and its compatibility with your oven. For example, some cookware may not be suitable for use on a gas stovetop due to its material or shape.

5. How do I clean my gas or electric oven?

To clean your gas or electric oven, start by removing the racks and wiping them down with warm, soapy water. For the interior of the oven, you can use a commercial oven cleaner or make a paste with baking soda and water. Let the cleaner sit for a few hours before wiping it away with a damp cloth. Be sure to also clean the door and control panel. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials, as they can damage the oven's finish.