1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone read the NYT article on foreign workers and the tech industry?

1. Jun 28, 2013 #1
    Wonder what some of you with experience think of this article, as much of it contradicts what I've been told: is the job market for engineers hard or soft?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2013 #2
    Is this the article you are talking about?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/28/t...more-foreign-workers-stirs-a-tech-debate.html

I just read it. It doesnt seem to be making too bold of claims. As an "underemployed" physics grad, I guess that I oppose importing more people that will compete with me for a career. But I know that I dont really have any marketable skills and that is what companies need. If they cant get skilled labor from me and my fellow grads, they will get it elsewhere.

4. Jun 29, 2013 #3
    This makes me feel like I should have just quit school and became a janitor or a mechanic...or a garbage man! I still cant find a job after 6 months of searching.

5. Jun 29, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't worry. Once the current immigration (read amnesty) bill is passed and signed into law, you'll have plenty of competition for the janitor and garbage man jobs, too! Nothing cures high unemployment like bringing in a lot of extra people to find jobs for.

6. Jun 29, 2013 #5
    Thanks for your responses, and yes ModusPwnd, that is the article I was referring to. I suppose the part that concerned me wasn't so much the desire of tech companies to solve what they perceive as their labor issues (or more cynically, to drive down costs.) The part that perked up my ears was the part about many older engineers being unable to find a job in the current market, combined with salaries that haven't risen to reflect a shortage of skills. How specific do your skills have to be before an employer takes a chance with you (that with the plus of a proven track record?) And if the current skills aren't desirable enough to pay for in terms of salaries that reward the existing labor for keeping skills current, or in terms of compensation for retraining, how can they be truly in demand? Those two realities don't mesh well together.

7. Jun 29, 2013 #6
    In my experience, they need to be very specific.

In many cases this means the workers aren't nearly as skilled and in demand as they think they are. This is where long term unemployment comes from. I dont think Im seeing the discrepancy here...

What companies need (what I have gleaned they need from job postings) is very specific skills and low expectation of pay. US grads often have broad academic knowledge and high expectations of pay. This is why they need/want foreign workers. There will never be any reason for them to say stop importing potential employees or stop pushing for more graduates; the bigger the pool of applicants for them the better.

8. Jun 29, 2013 #7

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The companies are greedy and lazy. Plenty of nonforeign workers ARE willing to both accept training or retraining on-the-job and also take lower wages, just to return to being employed again.

9. Jun 29, 2013 #8

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

Have you thought of leaving the US and seeking work elsewhere? Say, to Canada, Australia, or even to Asian countries like Singapore.

10. Jun 29, 2013 #9
    I don't have the money to move and I only speak English. So I don't think I could, though I've thought about it.

11. Jun 29, 2013 #10

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

The countries I have listed above (Canada, Australia, Singapore) are all English-speaking countries, so the fact that you only speak English won't be a barrier. Of course, you can also spend the time looking for work by trying to acquire other skills, such as language skills (through online material and courses such as Coursera).

As for not having the money, that could be a problem, but not insurmountable. If you apply to firms based there and they express an interest in potentially hiring you, the employers will more than likely provide the funds for you to relocate (if they do not, then those are companies that are not worth working for).

Another option that may be worth considering is joining the Peace Corps. Some advantages of joining include deferment of student loans, free medical and dental care, and 2 years of international work experience.

http://www.peacecorps.gov/apply/

12. Jun 29, 2013 #11
    I know this is going to sound bad, but I am thinking about just going to graduate school and toughing out the student loans. I was going originally, but I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder after being hospitalized and it through me through a major loop: lost a funding opportunity, a years worth of graduate school, $10000, and the opportunity to be recruited for a job (I have to explain this gap in my history some how).

The prof I was originally going to work for will allow me to start in his lab again, but I would have to wait until he gets funding again (he hired a student to replace me as the timing of my hospitalization was just before I accepted his offer).

I've never even considered the peace corps. I don't think they'd let a bipolar person in anyway :)

13. Jun 30, 2013 #12

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

and
    There is something fundamentally wrong here!

How is it that an undergraduate can graduate without marketable skills?!

Personally, I've had experience with undergraduates who cannot write properly (I've experienced college graduates barely writing, in some cases unable to write, at a 10th grade level), and I know companies have programs to help new hires (graduates from US universities) learn to write in proper English. To me that inidcates a profound and fundamental failure in US education, and I consider it alarming that the eduction system has been allowed to deteriorate to such a level of dysfunction.

It that is what the 'tech' industry is doing, then that is immoral and unethical in my opinion.

It is not appropriate to import 'temporary' workers while avoiding addressing the underlying problem of deficiencies in the education system. How is it that foreign workers are receiving the appropriate training and developing the requisite skills, while domesitic workers are not?! That cannot be a mere coincidence.

14. Jun 30, 2013 #13
    Personally, I've had experience with professional engineers who cannot write properly, do math, use Excel, etc.

It's not just the education system in the US that is the problem.

15. Jun 30, 2013 #14
    Quite easily. Performing well in classes is not a marketable skill. I think most college grads come out educated, but unskilled. That's the nature of a liberal arts education.

16. Jun 30, 2013 #15
    I've looked into Canada. I concluded its not much of an option. They really only want people who are rich, oppressed/refugees or skilled. A college grad is usually none of these things. They will not take an unemployed college grad as a skilled labor immigrant.

I always assumed that moving to a developing country, like somewhere in Latin America, would be easier. But that is not something I have looked into.

17. Jul 1, 2013 #16

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

Right now, you are college/university grad without any marketable skills. Last time you mentioned you are (or were) working as a pizza deliveryman -- have you thought about acquiring those marketable skills? If you can't afford to pursue a second degree at a college/university, why not seek further training through a community college in areas something employable e.g. mechanic, plumber, electrician, tool-and-dye-maker, etc.

In Canada there is a shortage of workers in the areas I just described (in fact, I have read reports that up to 40% of all new jobs being generated fall into the skilled workers category). There is an especially critical shortage of skilled workers in the province of Alberta, due largely to the booming oil industry.

Another option is to do what ParticleGrl had done and spend some time retraining yourself in statistics/data mining or programming (maybe contribute to open source projects). Those skills you develop yourself can be considered "marketable" skills, and with networking it would give you at least a shot at something different. After all, if you have time posting here at PhysicsForums, you have time to retrain yourself.

Now if you are open to moving to a non-English speaking country, you should probably consider becoming an English language speaker. I know several people who have worked as English teachers in countries like Japan, Taiwan, and China -- the only thing required is a college/university education. I have also suggested the Peace Corps as well.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  18. Jul 1, 2013 #17
    I dont see them on the eligible occupations list though. This list, http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who-instructions.asp#jobs

Its pretty specific stuff, and it requires that you have been employed in the field already. If I could manage to get a career style job like one on that list, I wouldn't need to consider canada. :tongue:

19. Jul 1, 2013 #18
    I think this is a little hard to sell. How can you convince a potential employer that you actually know as much/can do the same job as a statistician or programmer without the proper degree or even relevant coursework? Just saying: I studied these introductory books and programmed such and such, cross my heart? We still have to get through the HR filters to get called into an interview to prove yourself, not having the degree they ask for already puts one at a major disadvantage.

20. Jul 1, 2013 #19

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

The list of eligible occupations are a very specific list identified by the Canadian federal government as being high in demand (actually, the mechanic/electrician/tool-and-dye maker would fall under category 2243). You could also have apply for positions in Canada and they could arrange for you to come there, under the "Arranged employment" category.

There is also the Skilled Trades category here which I talked about earlier:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/trades/apply-who.asp

21. Jul 1, 2013 #20

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

The key is NOT to go through the HR filter (or go solely through the recruiter), and the way to do this is to network. Attend career fairs or conferences, set up an account on LinkedIn, find people on LinkedIn who work in those fields and make connections, etc. It takes time and effort, but it can be done. For example, I did not apply for my most recent job -- I had a recruiter come to me through LinkedIn.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook