Anyone regret their engineering decision?

In summary, the person regrets choosing chemical engineering as their major and thinks they would be better suited for electrical engineering. They have a job working for an oil company, but find it uninteresting. They think others may have had a similar experience and would benefit from switching majors.
speedboxx
I picked chemical engineering as my major and I think I am starting to regret it.

I get pretty good grades, so I'm not that bad in my classes. I just don't find it very interesting. Its just hard for me to find pipe flow or saturation curves (the stuff we learn in class) interesting no matter how hard I try. As a kid I would always tinker with electronics and self teach myself. As a result, I am pretty handy with the soldering iron and am pretty familiar with basic electronic components. In general, I find electrical stuff very interesting and think I would have made a better electrical engineer. I regularly read up on electrical related issues/topics, yet I never really do that for chemical stuff.

I also managed to score myself a fairly high paid summer job working for an oil company. Its a pretty ok job, but I just don't think I can get myself interested in flowing gas, well measurements, compressor engines, or etc... Sure beats flipping burgers, but still nothing too particularly interesting or exciting.

So I'm just wondering if anyone else had felt they made a wrong choice in the type of engineering to go into? Perhaps the work life of a chemical engineer isn't as dull as the stuff we have to learn in class?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not at all. But I chose to do electrical...which is what I've always been interested in. Just curious...how did you end up doing ChemE instead of EE if that's what you like?

I started in Chem E, and was awarded a 5-year scholarship in a pulp-and-paper track, but by that time, I had decided that I hated the grind, and dumped engineering for a double major in English literature and Philosopy. My first job out of college (after a stint in construction)...process chemist in a Kraft pulp mill. Fate intervenes.

I did regret it, but made a change.

I started out as a math/physics major. Those were happy times.

Someone coerced me into civil engineering, I figured it'd be like building with legos. Legos were rarely if ever brought out, so I switched to mechanical. It was kinda like civil, but with more air conditioning. So I switched to engineering physics. Almost back to the starting point, but at least I stayed on the four year track

I'm in ME right now. Does anyone know if it's fun, or is it like all about the Physics and applying it. I heard you hardly ever use Physics, but only once in a great while...

I am currently a computer science major but I'm taking as much as EE courses as I can. Also I plan to do a MsC in computer engineering which is somewhere between EE and CS. In the last few years I figured out that being a computer programmer isn't that much fun after all...
It's funny because when I finished high school I knew I certainly didn't want to do any engineering. I wanted to understand how nature works and not how to use it in society. Now, two years later, I'm thinking the opposite...

Making a decision no matter what direction you head for always always give you back some results that are good from some standpoints.
Life is short, and this world is small.

If you don't like chemical engineering, switch! This should be a no-brainer - complaining to us isn't going to make things better. Switching majors can.

Not sure if my experience would translate to chemistry and chem eng, but it's certainly a different mindset moving from pure science, to science in an engineering context.

I've always been physics-minded with a large splash of engineering inclination, but my satellite engineering masters (coming from a physics major/astrophysics minor) has made be realize that I'm definitely a physicist who can bluff his way in engineering and not the other way round.

The mindset and personality between the two cultures is close, but not close enough that there isn't a lot of confusion and frustration between the two groups when anything serious has to be done. I think if I were in your shoes I might feel the same as you.

Perhaps a move from chem eng to chem would help?

What attracted you to chemical engineering in the first place?

I'm an EE. I've lost interest in EE after my two internships. I don't mind doing it, but I'm not as passionate/interested in it as before.

Vanadium 50 said:
If you don't like chemical engineering, switch! This should be a no-brainer - complaining to us isn't going to make things better. Switching majors can.

I agree. Start talking to profs from other departments...maybe EE would be a good place to start.

At the end of the day, all professions suck, and you will hate your job no matter what it is. Those who deny hating their jobs are LIARS. Engineering is a huge waste of intelligence; i.e. for the same amount of intelligence, you could be making more money as a lawyer or dentist. And yeah, right now the oil patch is doing well, but it won't last forever.

You should just go for the money - make a list of the most lucrative professions you can tolerate, then move your way down until you find one that works. Trust, me, you'll be glad that you did.

Last edited:
Usaf Moji said:
At the end of the day, all professions suck, and you will hate your job no matter what it is. Those who deny hating their jobs are LIARS. Engineering is a huge waste of intelligence; i.e. for the same amount of intelligence, you could be making more money as a lawyer or dentist. And yeah, right now the oil patch is doing well, but it won't last forever.

You should just go for the money - make a list of the most lucrative professions you can tolerate, then move your way down until you find one that works. Trust, me, you'll be glad that you did.

My favorite part of my day: getting home, with my daughter, and husband, and cat, and two dogs are all there. Pure heaven.

My second favorite part of the day: getting to work. My work is infinitely challenging, with the rewards of success ripe for the picking. My coworkers are like extended family - such enjoyable people!

I hope, Usaf, that you will someday enjoy your job like I enjoy mine. My life is GOOD.

Usaf Moji said:

Are you trolling, being sarcastic, or are you just plain selfish and ungrateful?

You do not speak for everyone if you can't find a job you enjoy.

Also, if engineering is a waste of intelligence, what, if I may ask, would you say a good use of it is?

Engineering is exactly the opposite of a waste of intelligence.
Engineering is applied intelligence.

Mathemaniac said:
Are you trolling, being sarcastic, or are you just plain selfish and ungrateful?

You do not speak for everyone if you can't find a job you enjoy.

Also, if engineering is a waste of intelligence, what, if I may ask, would you say a good use of it is?

Wow, a very hostile reaction indeed. No, I'm not trolling, as should be evident from the time I've been on this forum. I'm trying to give what I consider to be good advice based on my experience. I've taken engineering, and I grew up in a family of engineers. They are all underpaid and consider their jobs a chore - i.e., if they won the lottery, they would quit. Accordingly, I chose to become a lawyer instead, mainly for the money - and it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

By waste of intelligence, I mean society will benefit from your intelligence, but you won't. Good use of intelligence (i.e. that will allow YOU to benefit from it) is: business, law, accounting, medicine, dentistry, chiropractic, and a few others.

Your unduly hostile reaction is exactly why people who dislike their jobs don't just come out and say it - and exactly why the next generation ends up in underpaid work.

Usaf Moji said:
Wow, a very hostile reaction indeed. No, I'm not trolling, as should be evident from the time I've been on this forum. I'm trying to give what I consider to be good advice based on my experience. I've taken engineering, and I grew up in a family of engineers. They are all underpaid and consider their jobs a chore - i.e., if they won the lottery, they would quit. Accordingly, I chose to become a lawyer instead, mainly for the money - and it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

By waste of intelligence, I mean society will benefit from your intelligence, but you won't. Good use of intelligence (i.e. that will allow YOU to benefit from it) is: business, law, accounting, medicine, dentistry, chiropractic, and a few others.

Your unduly hostile reaction is exactly why people who dislike their jobs don't just come out and say it - and exactly why the next generation ends up in underpaid work.

I see nothing hostile in Mathemaniac's post. Look again at your post:

At the end of the day, all professions suck, and you will hate your job no matter what it is. Those who deny hating their jobs are LIARS.

My profession does not suck, and I love my job. Are you calling me a liar?

lisab said:
I see nothing hostile in Mathemaniac's post. Look again at your post:

My profession does not suck, and I love my job. Are you calling me a liar?

liar, liar, your pants are on fire! (-:

just kidding.

"By waste of intelligence, I mean society will benefit from your intelligence, but you won't. Good use of intelligence (i.e. that will allow YOU to benefit from it) is: business, law, accounting, medicine, dentistry, chiropractic, and a few others."

Chiropractic?? Maybe to you scamming people out of money with quackery is a good use of intelligence, but I think that most people want to have at least some balance between personal income and making a positive impact on society.

loop quantum gravity said:
liar, liar, your pants are on fire! (-:

just kidding.

:tongue2: :smile:

nicksauce said:
I think that most people want to have at least some balance between personal income and making a positive impact on society.

<Insert generic lawyer joke here.>

Usaf Moji said:

In the U.S., at least, I do not think engineers are underpaid. And most seem to enjoy their work. Any who don't are simply ungrateful and they fail to see the bigger picture; there are billions of people in the world who would kill for such an opportunity, even if the wage was half of what it is now.

No, a good use of intelligence is a use of it in such a way that will benefit society. I can't stand the "every man for himself" mindset in this world. It is precisely that selfish mentality which will destroy humanity.

At any rate, I think my "hostility" is warranted when you are so arrogantly presumptuous as to say that anyone who claims they enjoy their job is lying.

Last edited:
Usaf Moji said:

I was going to write an honest response to this, but then I realized that he's just doing an incredible job at trolling.

9/10

Oh bla bla engineers are underpaid waa waa

Its a great profession.

I regret my engineering decision not to study engineering.

The only thing I have against "engineering" is that a lot of engineers but obviously not all tend to have an over inflated opinion of themselves.

Usaf Moji said:

You don't need to be intelligent to do any of those jobs, you just need good people skills and good academic ability. Success in business, law and accounting has very little to do with intelligence.

Mathemaniac said:
No, a good use of intelligence is a use of it in such a way that will benefit society. I can't stand the "every man for himself" mindset in this world. It is precisely that selfish mentality which will destroy humanity.

That selfish mindset also brings innovation. It brings the bad with the good.

Also, why is someone always on here bashing engineering? Maybe if engineers were paid more and given the respect they deserve for serving humanity this wouldn’t be a problem...

Lacero said:
Also, why is someone always on here bashing engineering? Maybe if engineers were paid more and given the respect they deserve for serving humanity this wouldn’t be a problem...
Huh? I'll bet that (on average) most people with engineering degrees make more money than most people with physics degrees. In addition, engineers with good managerial skills can often leverage that into project-management positions or end up managing entire engineering departments. These can be demanding jobs, but they are lucrative positions. Look into salaries in pulp and paper, waste management, pollution mitigation, etc, etc, and you'll see that engineers can not only have jobs that are very rewarding and satisfying - they can also earn a comfortable wage. I have worked for very competent engineers that have ended up in managerial roles, and generally, their job satisfaction was quite high. One fellow (one of my closest friends after we got to know each other) prided himself on being able to 1) understand what his engineers and chemists (I was one of the process chemists) were doing to optimize the efficiency and yield of the pulp mill, AND 2) express these projects in terms that the bean-counters could understand so that we were properly funded, staffed and equipped. We did our best to make him look good and he did his best to give us autonomy and proper equipment and supplies.

Last edited:
My previous job distinguished between *designers* and *engineers*, even both jobs had "engineers" sitting in the seats. A designer generally created a model in ProE, or a circuits program, or ran Fluent or some other modeling code to design something. The engineer had the responsibility of actually constructing said device and ensuring it met specification.

The designers inevitably hated the engineers because the engineers tweaked the designs, the engineers hated the designers for not living in the real world. I'm talking about details like the radius of a weld, or a thread specification, or a clearance as opposed to large-scale features.

Personally, I learned a lot from both (and from the techs that physically built the stuff). IIRC the *engineers* were paid more than the *designers*, but that reflected the reality that the engineering job required more experience and ability than a designer job.

Andy Resnick said:
My previous job distinguished between *designers* and *engineers*, even both jobs had "engineers" sitting in the seats. A designer generally created a model in ProE, or a circuits program, or ran Fluent or some other modeling code to design something. The engineer had the responsibility of actually constructing said device and ensuring it met specification.

The designers inevitably hated the engineers because the engineers tweaked the designs, the engineers hated the designers for not living in the real world. I'm talking about details like the radius of a weld, or a thread specification, or a clearance as opposed to large-scale features.

Personally, I learned a lot from both (and from the techs that physically built the stuff). IIRC the *engineers* were paid more than the *designers*, but that reflected the reality that the engineering job required more experience and ability than a designer job.

The 'designers' are engineers, whilst the field engys probably have engineering tech degrees. Different concentrations.

ME vs. MET

That selfish mindset also brings innovation. It brings the bad with the good.

It hinders innovation more than it brings it.

Innovation isn't begotten through selfishness, that is just silly; it is begotten through creativity, intelligence, and a drive to improve (be it selfish, or not).

What problem? I don't see a problem that results from engineers being "underpaid" here. I just see whining.

Last edited:
I have never come across so many people advising others not to enter a certain field. When that field is engineering, it is a problem.

Usaf Moji said:
So does this mean you switched majors from engineering to law or do you have both law and engineering degrees and you've worked as an engineer to know that it sucked as a career path?

Lacero said:
I have never come across so many people advising others not to enter a certain field. When that field is engineering, it is a problem.
There are apparently a lot of such threads here. Ironically one of those fields many here would advise against is physics as a major.

Defennder said:
There are apparently a lot of such threads here. Ironically one of those fields many here would advise against is physics as a major.

Physics is a very impractical major since it doesn't efficiently lead into a career path that you have a good probability of being able to enter. However, some of us are interested enough in it that we're willing to either put up with the low odds of entry or with the extra work in entering a career field outside of physics in order to study it.