Need a good link to learn V=IxR for my grandaughter

yungman
Hi

My grand daughter is a senior in HS, She even took AP physics and calculus, BUT she never learn simple electrical stuff, like the basic V= I x R.

I want suggestion of some good links she can read about very basic electricity/electronics starting with V = I x R. Of cause I know all those, but being long time engineer and all, I don't trust myself to pick an introduction article as they all look the same at this point. So I need someone here that deal with teaching young minds to pick some links for me. Something that is more interesting.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There are many video clips on youtube to choose from. I found these two that look pretty good:

Likes pinball1970, yungman, topsquark and 1 other person
Thanks

I picked the first one and I have one I found. I am good.

Have a nice day.

Likes jedishrfu
We abbreviate voltage with a U. Don't ask me why, but it helps since URI is a swiss Kanton.

fresh_42 said:
We abbreviate voltage with a U. Don't ask me why, but it helps since URI is a swiss Kanton.
I think I figured out why. If you abbreviate voltage with a V, then you get equations like V=5V that nobody really wants. U=5V is better.

Likes AndreasC and jedishrfu
fresh_42 said:
Ohm was born in Erlangen, Germany, just 360 km from Uri, Switzerland.

U, V and W are the symbols for the line voltages on a 3-PH power supply.

Likes jedishrfu, Tom.G and fresh_42
Here in the States, we often use E=IR, E for Electromotive force.

fresh_42 said:
I think I figured out why. If you abbreviate voltage with a V, then you get equations like V=5V that nobody really wants. U=5V is better.
Although in the US we use lowercase units of measure so the equation would be V=5v

jedishrfu said:
Although in the US we use lowercase units of measure so the equation would be V=5v
5 V with a space would be more correct in SI. The unit volt is lower case when spelled out, named after Volta (capitalised), while the symbol is capitalised, hence V.
For units not named after people, the unit name and symbol are both lower case, eg; metre, m.

• Informative
Likes hutchphd, vanhees71 and jedishrfu
I am not sure how much to trust Wikipedia, but I looked at my battery packaging and see both V and v.

And if the granddaughter wasn't confused before, I am sure she is after reading this thread.

• Haha
Likes Tom.G and Mark44
jedishrfu said:
Not on my DvM! :wink:

• Haha
Likes Vanadium 50 and Tom.G
That's because you didn't buy a DvM.

Vanadium 50 said:
That's because you didn't buy a DvM.
I'm cheap. I didn't want to pay extra for the US model... :wink:

• Haha
Likes Vanadium 50
I can't help but I always have to think about current. Do you really speak of 16 a fuses? This is a terrible convention. And 2 c?

A 1 fF capacitor.

Baluncore said:
A 1 fF capacitor.
FFS!

1. What is V=IxR and why is it important to learn?

V=IxR is a formula used in electricity to calculate the voltage (V) when you know the current (I) and resistance (R). It is important to learn because it is a fundamental concept in understanding how electricity works and is used in many real-world applications.

2. How can I explain V=IxR to my grandaughter in a simple way?

You can explain V=IxR to your grandaughter by using the analogy of water flowing through a pipe. Voltage is like the pressure of the water, current is like the flow rate, and resistance is like the size of the pipe. Just like how a smaller pipe will have more resistance and therefore less water flowing through it, a higher resistance will result in a lower current for a given voltage.

3. Are there any real-life examples of V=IxR?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of V=IxR. For example, when you turn on a light bulb, the voltage (V) from the outlet causes the current (I) to flow through the resistance (R) of the filament, which then produces light. Another example is in electronics, where V=IxR is used to design circuits and determine the appropriate components to use.

4. How can I help my grandaughter understand the relationship between V, I, and R?

You can help your grandaughter understand the relationship between V, I, and R by using visual aids such as diagrams or hands-on experiments. You can also show her how changing one variable affects the others by using different values in the V=IxR formula.

5. Where can I find a good resource to learn more about V=IxR?

There are many online resources available to learn more about V=IxR. Some good places to start are educational websites, such as Khan Academy or Science Buddies, or YouTube channels that specialize in science and engineering topics. You can also check with your local library or bookstore for books on electricity and circuits.