Anyone watching Game of Thrones? (spoilers)

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, Tyrion Lannister is one of the more interesting and complex characters on the show, and I don't think HBO or George RR Martin are going to get rid of him anytime soon.
I just finished season 1! I'm a huge fan now!

Physics news on Phys.org
What ever happened to reading the book? :-)

I saw a few episodes during one weekend when HBO was free but never got to see the rest. My son has read the books and likes the HBO series a lot too.

Yes! I've watched all 3 seasons and read all 5 ASOIAF novels. I've also read the 3 Dunk and Egg prequels, and now I'm perusing Martin's earlier award-winning sci-fi, horror and fantasy. ("Armageddon Rag" is a novel that should appeal to rock music fans of the 60's). He's a fantastically good storyteller, on a par with the greatest of all time, IMHO. He uses symbolism that works on several levels, and like Shakespeare, writes in such a way as to appeal to a wide variety of readers. I've noticed a consistent theme of infracaninophilism, and a certain preoccupation with blood and its properties. :eek:

Last edited:
I have seen all three seasons, episode daily, in October.

Rule number one: don't get attached to any person/fraction/family.

Likes cnh1995
Borek said:

This is but one good reason why Game of Thrones is so refreshing and popular with viewers and critics; it demolishes stereotypical expectations of what a series drama should be.

5 books so 5 seasons? I agree with your comment borek. I like how most characters at least in season 2 were all complex not without faults. Obviously there are some people you end up rooting for though.

He hasn't finished writing the series yet. The last two books to come out were supposed to be 1 book, but it got so big that he split it into two.

I haven't seen the show but have read the books and they are amazing but I'm getting pretty PO'ed at Martin because he is moving at a snail's pace with this story. Each book simply expands the story further and barely gets you any closure. At this point, I don't think the guy will even finish the story, seeing as he takes so long to put out an installment. He seems to be too busy raking in the cash (IMO) to finish the damn story. I'm suspecting that if he ever does close this story, it will be in a rush to just get more movie/show deals or whatever.

Yanick said:
He hasn't finished writing the series yet. The last two books to come out were supposed to be 1 book, but it got so big that he split it into two.

I believe he said in the case he won't have time to finish it, there is always a Red Comet solution - it hits Westeros, and kills everyone.

And judging from what have happened during all three seasons it is not an ending to be ruled out.

Hmmm, I loved the first season to bits, but the second one lacked that special something, that I can't put my finger on. It felt cheaper, gratuitious, deflated and forgettable.
So forgettable, in fact, that I can't remember whether I watched the third season after that.

Greg Bernhardt said:
5 books so 5 seasons?

Yes, HBO are producing the series - the most popular cable TV series since The Sopranos - at a rate of one season per book. Five books (4,194 pages) have been published since 1996 from a currently projected total of seven. The sixth novel, "The Winds of Winter", is not likely to be finished before 2015. So its clear HBO will run out of material before the seventh and final book is published. They may be producing the prequels in the interim. Although Martin supposedly has had the story ending in mind from the beginning, he is understandably fussy about the quality of his work and his life. At age 65, he cannot be expected to hurriedly turn a word mill for his demanding fans.

Last edited:
Borek said:

I think it's quite safe to get attached to Tyrion Lannister. He's far and away the most interesting character on the show. So I don't think either George R R Martin or the HBO scriptwriters/producers are going to be willing to get rid of him for a very long time.

If they do it just to defy expectations, I predict it will backfire. Droves of people will simply stop watching.

Curious3141 said:
I think it's quite safe to get attached to Tyrion Lannister. He's far and away the most interesting character on the show. So I don't think either George R R Martin or the HBO scriptwriters/producers are going to be willing to get rid of him for a very long time.

If they do it just to defy expectations, I predict it will backfire. Droves of people will simply stop watching.

"I have a tender spot in my heart for cripples and bastards and broken things."
Tyrion Lannister - A Game of Thrones

This is also expressing how George feels about Tyrion - and really about underdogs in general.
Tyrion will be there at the end; of that we are pretty sure.

I've read the books and watched the TV series. The TV show is one of the few examples of something I think is as good as, if not better than, the book. Though as others have mentioned the TV show is being made at a rate of one series per year whereas GRRM took eleven years to release the last two. It will be interesting to see the show catch up and have to finish the story for him.

Before Game of Thrones, George did a long stint in Hollywood as a writer/producer, has worked on The Twilight Zone, Beauty and the Beast, and various feature films that were never produced.

So when he hooked up with HBO, he was careful to retain the fullest possible authorial control of the rights by contract, and continues to work very closely together with them. He personally writes one HBO episode per season.

Alright, it's a fretful worry of some viewers and readers on fan forums such as westeros.org as to how a 7th season (!) of the popular series will be pulled off. But you've noticed how closely the TV production adheres to the general Song of Ice and Fire storyline, no matter how necessarily thinned down from the rich texture and complexly satisfying content found in the novels. So there will be no red comet wiping out Westeros, and no ginned up, non-canonical ending.

Dotini said:
So there will be no red comet wiping out Westeros

Any source for that? Red comet theory has backing from GRRM himself:

And you know, if I really get pressed, I've already established that red comet. I can just have it hit Westeros and wipe out all life.

http://www.empireonline.com/interviews/interview.asp?IID=1496

I am sure he said that with tongue in cheek, still, these are his own words.

Borek said:
Any source for that? Red comet theory has backing from GRRM himself:

http://www.empireonline.com/interviews/interview.asp?IID=1496

I am sure he said that with tongue in cheek, still, these are his own words.

I've been reading numerous threads on westeros.org, viewing the Westeros history analysis on Youtube put out by Elio Garcia and Linda Antonsson, and reading "Beyond the Wall", a collection of ASOIAF literary criticism by editors and writers.

(mild spoiler alert)
People seem to agree that the red comet is a symbol or omen, viewed differently by characters all over The Known World as well as the continent of Westeros, that somehow reflects uniquely either the heraldic colors, wars and political agenda, family destiny, religious faith, etc., of the separate viewers. It is seen briefly then passes on. The comet is traditionally an omen of impending crisis in the physical and/or spiritual worlds - and in the realms of man. And don't forget the Others, briefly glimpsed in the prologue! They may be symbolized by ice, much as dragons and Targaryens may be symbolized by fire - or a fiery red comet. So, the comet works at a lot of levels. As a deus ex machina, prematurely ending the series for an impatient, frustrated audience, I don't think it works at all.

I just started watching, on season 2 ep 3 now, loving it.

I want syrio to return, by far the coolest character.

Likes cnh1995
Greg Bernhardt said:
I just finished season 1! I'm a huge fan now!

I know you've literally been living under a rock for the past couple months but geez what took you so long?

Decoding HD video is quite a job. Perhaps Greg has watched the episodes on an old, slow computer. My estimates show that if the device is capable of displaying around 0.14 frames per second, it takes two months to watch the first season (no pee breaks nor sleeping).

I will have to give this show a try.

Likes PapersOwl
Half way through season 2 and I can already see the story is already slowing down and widening. Still good though.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Half way through season 2 and I can already see the story is already slowing down and widening. Still good though.

I'm about half-way into season 3, and I think it's starting to pick up (not to spoil anything, but there is a part involving the Targaryan girl in the third season that was just awesome). Keep the faith!

Finished season 2! Guess I have to wait till Feb for season 3 to get one Amazon Instant. Great cliff hanger at the end with the White Walkers!

There are a lot of streaming sites out there, if you want to do it that way.

Asking around should be enough :rolleyes:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Finished season 2! Guess I have to wait till Feb for season 3 to get one Amazon Instant. Great cliff hanger at the end with the White Walkers!
At least you've only got to wait a couple of months. I finished season 2 ages ago. [Frustrating wait...]

Oh well, at least The Desolation of Smaug will hit my cinema in,... oh good,... it's just over a week.
I hope they can improve over the first installment.

strangerep said:
Oh well, at least The Desolation of Smaug will hit my cinema in,... oh good,... it's just over a week.
I hope they can improve over the first installment.

It is awesome, lots of action. People say it deviates from the book, but they always are lost for words you respond with "who cares?"

1MileCrash said:
[Desolation of Smaug] is awesome, lots of action. People say it deviates from the book, but they always are lost for words you respond with "who cares?"
I guess I don't mind if they deviate in a way consistent with Tolkien's underlying intent and mythos. I was ok with some of the deviations in LoTR, but not all of them.

The biggest thing that p*sses me off in the LoTR and Hobbit films is the way that non-Uruk-Hai orcs seem quite happy to run around in broad daylight. :grumpy:

strangerep said:
At least you've only got to wait a couple of months. I finished season 2 ages ago. [Frustrating wait...]

You can see it right now by signing up for HBO and seeing it On Demand.

Just finished the third book. I absolutely adore this series. Sometimes it's a bit slow in development, but overall it's a fierce and interesting world.

I bought the Season 3 dvd last week -- and watched it all within a few days. :frown:
The seasons are too short (but of course I understand why).

It's curious that seasons 1 & 2 were rated "R-18+", but season 3 is only MA-15+. I would have thought the final throat-cutting scenes qualified as "high level violence".

I'll probably never understand the rating system.

1MileCrash said:
[...] not to spoil anything, but there is a part involving the Targaryan girl in the third season that was just awesome
If it's the scene I think you refer to... well,... hmmm,... I guess you like cars with large trunks? :tongue2:

So funny thing. I watched the first two seasons and then read the third book. After reading the third book I am now 2 episodes into the 3rd season and I don't like it as much. So much is changed and missing. The first two episodes end and I feel like nothing has happened. Right now my feeling is the book is vastly superior.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Right now my feeling is the book is vastly superior.
Isn't this normal?

E.g., leaving out the special effects, the LOTR books are superior to the films.

Greg Bernhardt said:
So funny thing. I watched the first two seasons and then read the third book. After reading the third book I am now 2 episodes into the 3rd season and I don't like it as much. So much is changed and missing. The first two episodes end and I feel like nothing has happened. Right now my feeling is the book is vastly superior.

It should be noted that there does not exist a trivial one-to-one correspondence between the books and the show seasons.

The nth book does not cover the nth season exactly. It is all over the place. You'll be well into season 4 from the third book, iirc.

strangerep said:
Isn't this normal?

E.g., leaving out the special effects, the LOTR books are superior to the films.
As a longtime LOTR books fan, I totally disagree. Books are books and films are films, and there ain't nothing in between. Besides, there are better character developments of, say, Frodo, Merry and Pippin in the films than the books have to offer.