Roger Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber

• Thread starter Khatti
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the fantasy series "Chronicles of Amber" by Roger Zelazny. It is described as a mix of sword & sorcery and detective fiction, following a family of demigods who fight over the throne and their home kingdom. The participants in the conversation express their love for the series and discuss re-reading it and the potential intimidating nature of the 10-book series. They also mention the series' focus on male characters and the potential impact on female readers.
Khatti
All right Mr. Holland, two can play at this game! My favorite fantasy series is the Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny. The series is more sword & sorcery than high fantasy, and it is written in a style that's reminiscent of hard-boiled, detective fiction. It deals with a family of...well...demigods who start out fighting over the throne 'cause Dad is gone, and end up fighting to keep their home kingdom intact. So does anyone other than me miss Corwin and Merlin and Benedict? Does anyone have any thoughts on facing the Pattern or just ambling through Shadows?

Physics news on Phys.org
"It was just one damned thing chasing another."

An excellent trilogy somehow crammed into only ten books.

Vanadium 50 said:
An excellent trilogy somehow crammed into only ten books.

Nine Princes in Amber, and The Guns of Avalon, I read about every eighteen months. I think the last time I read the first five books altogether was 2003. I haven't read the second set since the Eighties.

I bought the Great Book of Amber for my wife. I think it intimidates her.

Noisy Rhysling said:
I bought the Great Book of Amber for my wife. I think it intimidates her.

Did she get through War & Peace, and The Brothers Karamazov in College? This is a lot easier going. Perhaps it's the fact that I went through all ten book individually that makes it less intimidating for me. Also, The Amber Chronicles isn't what I would think of as chick-lit. It's about men behaving very badly. I don't know how you and your wife feel about kids & family--nor am I going to ask--but if your a woman who is looking forward to having both, a series of books where the siblings are trying to kill each other may be something of a downer.

"I trusted him like a brother--which is to say not at all."

Last edited:
I read all of them as they came out as well. Robin is a constant reader, no lightweight in that department.

1. What is the premise of "Roger Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber"?

The Chronicles of Amber is a fantasy series written by Roger Zelazny that follows the story of a prince named Corwin who discovers he is a member of a royal family with the ability to travel between parallel worlds known as Amber and Chaos. The series chronicles Corwin's struggle to reclaim his throne and protect his family from the powerful forces of Chaos.

2. How many books are in the series?

There are a total of 10 books in the Chronicles of Amber series. The first five books, known as the Corwin Cycle, follow the story of Corwin while the remaining five books, known as the Merlin Cycle, follow the story of his son, Merlin.

3. What makes "Roger Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber" unique compared to other fantasy series?

The Chronicles of Amber is known for its unique blend of fantasy and science fiction elements. Zelazny's writing style and world-building also set it apart, with the use of creative and complex storytelling techniques and a diverse cast of characters.

4. Can the books be read as standalone novels or must they be read in order?

While each book in the series can be read on its own, it is highly recommended to read them in chronological order to fully understand the story and character development. The series also contains spoilers for previous books, so reading them out of order may diminish the overall reading experience.

5. Is there a specific reading order for the series?

The recommended reading order for the Chronicles of Amber series is as follows: Nine Princes in Amber, The Guns of Avalon, Sign of the Unicorn, The Hand of Oberon, The Courts of Chaos, Trumps of Doom, Blood of Amber, Sign of Chaos, Knight of Shadows, and Prince of Chaos.

Back