AP Physics C E&M: Struggling with Homework Before Exam

In summary: The answer to the first problem is that the potential at the point shown in the second figure is the same as the potential at the point where the charge is the heaviest. The point where the potential is the heaviest is at the center of the charge.
sarvesh0303

Homework Statement

Could somebody help me on the problems given in the attachments? I know E&M well but these problems stumped me(In the RC Circuit I need help only on part (d) of the question). Tomorrow is my AP C E&M exam. I am too nervous about it. Based on how these problems stumped me, do you think I should write tomorrow or should I write it next year or next semester.

(Note: Since the course is not offered in my school or neighborhood, I learnt(and still am learning) E&M through a course on edX(I joined the course before planning to write the exam))

Do I need to know how to solve second order ODEs to solve the RC Circuit?

Homework Equations

Gauss' Law
Kirchoff's Law
Mathematical Definition of Potential Difference

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• p1.PNG
    p1.PNG
    22.2 KB · Views: 497
  • p2.PNG
    p2.PNG
    15 KB · Views: 490
  • p3.PNG
    p3.PNG
    12 KB · Views: 476
Physics news on Phys.org
sarvesh0303 said:

No.
Since the Forum says my answer is too short, I repeat - no.

sarvesh0303 said:

Homework Statement

Could somebody help me on the problems given in the attachments? I know E&M well but these problems stumped me(In the RC Circuit I need help only on part (d) of the question). Tomorrow is my AP C E&M exam. I am too nervous about it. Based on how these problems stumped me, do you think I should write tomorrow or should I write it next year or next semester.

(Note: Since the course is not offered in my school or neighborhood, I learnt(and still am learning) E&M through a course on edX(I joined the course before planning to write the exam))

Homework Equations

Gauss' Law
Kirchoff's Law
Mathematical Definition of Potential Difference

The Attempt at a Solution

You do not need to solve ODE-s to solve the RC circuit. You might need to calculate an integral
in the other two problems. These are not difficult problems. If you are totally stumped, better not to try that exam tomorrow. Do you really have no idea how to solve the problems?

ehild

I think I can solve the RC Circuit. But help with the other 2 would be really helpful(especially the first one). (I'm sorry if I sound like an idiot.)

How would you find the potential at the point shown in the second figure?

ehild

I just got an idea for the first problem. Could we use Gauss's Law with the point lying on the Gaussian Sphere? Or is it ineffective since the charge would not be uniformly distributed on the Gaussian surface?

I got the answer to the problem in the second thumbnail.

Last edited:
You can use Coulomb's Law to get contribution of the charge on a small piece on the arc to the potential at the given points. The potentials add up, so you get the potential at the given points by integration along the charged arc. Are the position of the points exactly given? Do you need to calculate the potential, or only guess where is it the highest? Note the distances between points of the arc and the given points. ehild

1. What are the most common topics covered in AP Physics C E&M?

The most common topics covered in AP Physics C E&M are electrostatics, electric circuits, magnetic fields, and electromagnetic induction.

2. How can I improve my understanding of AP Physics C E&M concepts?

To improve your understanding of AP Physics C E&M concepts, it is important to practice solving problems and actively engage with the material. You can also seek help from your teacher or a tutor if you are struggling with specific topics.

3. How should I approach studying for the AP Physics C E&M exam?

It is important to start studying early and consistently review the material. Make sure to understand the fundamental concepts before moving on to more complex topics. Practice past exam questions and take practice tests to familiarize yourself with the exam format.

4. How can I better manage my time while studying for the AP Physics C E&M exam?

Create a study schedule and break down the material into smaller, manageable chunks. Prioritize topics that you find more challenging and allocate more study time to them. Take breaks and make sure to get enough rest to avoid burnout.

5. What resources are available to help me prepare for the AP Physics C E&M exam?

There are many resources available to help you prepare for the AP Physics C E&M exam, including review books, online practice tests, and study guides. Your teacher or school may also offer review sessions or study groups. Additionally, there are numerous educational websites and videos that can supplement your studying.