1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AP Physics C Mechanics: Conservation of Energy Problem

1. Sep 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A block of mass m hangs on the end of a cord and is connected to a block of mass M by a pulley arrangement. (m hangs freely, M is attached to the string, and is on a table top. (So m is attached to a string which goes therough a pulley changing the strings direction 90 degrees where it goes through a pulley attached to M and back to a block on the table. So, for every unit m moves M moves two, sorry this is hard to explain without a diagram.) Using energy considerations,
    a.) find an expression for the speed m as a function of the distance fallen,
    b.) repeat the previous assuming that a friction of µ acts on the block on the table. Assume everything is at rest.

I dont think it is pertinant, but, it has a few latter parts which are calculus based that I was able to get using what I know to be the answer to a and b.

2. Relevant equations
    U=mgh
    K=.5mv^2
    F=µN (N=mg)
    MAybe some kinematics equations for part B?)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think I got part a, just a math error.

Using the formula K(m)+K(M)+U2(m)=U(m) U2 being the new potential energy after a change in distance, and then
    1/2mv^2+1/2m(v/2)^2(It will be half the speed of m)+mgh2=mgh
    and solving for M, I think I am getting the correct answer

For B, that is including coefficient of friction I think I am having a lot more trouble. My first attempt was to attempt to factor in the friction into the velocity, but that got an incorrect answer. I then tried tog et force, and integrate (integral of NetForce dx=∆K)

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

I don't see how you can find the acceleration using the energy approach.
    I think you will have to work with forces. The force of gravity on m is what makes the masses accelerate. Can you write an F = ma equation for each of the masses? Would the force pulling M be half the force with which m pulls on the rope?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook