AP PHYSICS ~ FLUIDS ~ A cube of osmium with a volume of

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 5K views
Silverbolt
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
A cube of osmium with a volume of 166 cm³ is placed in fresh water. The cube's apparent weight is 35.0 N. What is the density of osmium?This is what I did:

I converted force to mass by : 35 N / 9.8 = 3.57 kg

then changed the 166 cm³ to m³ which is : .000166 m³

After that i divided the mass and the volume: (3.57 kg)/(.000166 m³)

And so I got the density as 21506 kg/m³
PLEASE HELP ME IF I'M WRONG
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your conversion from cm^3 to m^3 was off, it's actually 1.66m^3, you move it two decimal places to the left.
 
Silverbolt said:
then changed the 166 cm³ to m³ which is : .000166 m³

That is correct, and iilego's post #3 is wrong.

The question says "the cube was placed in fresh water". You haven't used that information anywhere. What difference does it make if the cube is in water or in air?
 
cm equals .01 meters, which is two decimal places to the left, am I wrong? I never mentioned anything about the answer, just that his conversion was off on the volume.
 
If 1 cm = 0.01 m, then (1 cm)^3 = 1 cm^3 = (0.01 m)^3 = 10^(-6) m^3

1m^3 is rather a large volume
 
never mind, I was wrong, the conversion was right, sorry :(