1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aperiodicity of a Markov Chain

1. Apr 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Transition matrix is

0 0 1
    0 0 1
    (1/3) (2/3) 0

"argue that this chain is aperiodic"

2. Relevant equations

definition of aperiodicity - there must exist a time n such that there is a non-zero probability of going from state i to state j for all i & j

3. The attempt at a solution

This definition doesn't seem to hold for my chain ... for example, to go from state 1 to state 2 n has to be odd.. but to go from state 1 to state 1 or 3 n has to be even..

Am I just getting this definition muddled up? Could someone elaborate on it for me? Thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2008 #2
  4. Apr 13, 2008 #3
    The chain is aperiodic 1->3->2->3->1
    You can get from any position to any other (it doesn't have to be in one step..)
  5. Apr 13, 2008 #4
    Yeah, I can see it's not periodic and hence must be apeiodic, but what's going on with that definition? My understanding of it is that there has to be a special (fixed) value of n where you can go from any one state to all the others, including back to that state... but that doesn't seem to hold here... thanks for replying
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?